Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Tabs opening automatically

In Safari I usually have multiple tabs open. Say I click on a page in tab one and then want to read tab two, for some sites I will be send to tab one while it is opening, and I don't want that. Is there a way to change the setting?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on May 19, 2013 10:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 22, 2013 7:34 AM

Hey benturpin,

I'd check out the following article about customizable tabs preferences:

Safari: Tabs preferences

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH4989

It sounds like you might have the "When a new tab or window opens, make it active" checkbox marked, and if so it will have new tabs or windows open in front of the one you're currently viewing.

Hope that helps,
David

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 22, 2013 7:34 AM in response to benturpin

Hey benturpin,

I'd check out the following article about customizable tabs preferences:

Safari: Tabs preferences

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH4989

It sounds like you might have the "When a new tab or window opens, make it active" checkbox marked, and if so it will have new tabs or windows open in front of the one you're currently viewing.

Hope that helps,
David

Jun 9, 2013 6:46 AM in response to Delgadoh

Hello David,

thanks for your reply. I checked the tab setting, but I haven't checked that option. It is a problem that happens with some sites, but not all. It almost looks as if the sites themselves can set this option, however the sites that are doing it a reputable newspapers from the Netherlands, not people who want to sell you things all the time. And as I open these sites most of the days, it is a recurring problem, sometimes turing into frustration, but it should help me become a more patient person.

ton

Tabs opening automatically

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.