Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mountain Lion displayed previously recorded CD as Blank

Hi I have recently come across an issue (BUG) in mountain lion.

Pervasively recorded CD's from old OS now show as blank?

If you dual book into windows or put the CD into SL 10.6 information displays, but for some reason ML 10.8 displays the disk as BLANK.

I have spoke to Senior techs and apple store Geniuses who just told me that ML is not compatible with older OS?

Great thanks for that Genius diagnosis.

SOLUTION:

After a lot of searching around I figure this was not the CD's problem but rather the session language in which it was originally Recorded / Burned. I figured as it was an old disk it may have been burned with Legacy software language eg Joliet level3 or something.

To read these apparent disks in ML you need to do the following in terminal to force mount the older cd session.

1.Open terminal

2.List all volumes to determine which volume we need to force mount.

$ diskutil list

identify the CD mount identifier for the first volume mine was disk1s1. disk0 is normally your internal HD and disk1 is normally the first other drive you have inserted in your system, in this case the CD.

Note if you have other .dmg files mounted or usb drives mounted the CD may be on disk2 or disk3?

Once you determine which disk it is you want to mount the first partition of that disk.

In my case it was disk1s1.

From trial and error I figured it was normally the first s1 after the disk rather than s1s1 or s1s2

this is what you will get once you run $ diskutil list

/dev/disk1
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:        CD_partition_scheme                        *790.8 MB   disk1
   1:     Apple_partition_scheme                         658.4 MB   disk1s1
   2:        Apple_partition_map                         1.0 KB     disk1s1s1
   3:                  Apple_HFS Untitled CD             658.0 MB   disk1s1s2

Once you know the disk IDENTIFIER as disk1s1 we can force mount it using something called cd9660.fs.

3. we need to make a directory for us to mount the partition into.

$ mkdir /Volumes/tempCD

4. now we can mount the partition disk1s1 into our newly created tempCD directory

$ sudo /System/Library/Filesystems/cd9660.fs/Contents/Resources/cd9660.util -M disk1s1 /Volumes/tempCD

sudo means you will have to put the admin password in when you run this command.

You will now get a mounted CD called tempCD and you should be able to browse the files on it.

5. to unmount the CD you will have to run this command

$ sudo /System/Library/Filesystems/cd9660.fs/Contents/Resources/cd9660.util -u disk1s1 /Volumes/tempCD

In future you do not need to run the $ mkdir /Volumes/tempCD as it already exists so you only need to run mount and unmount steps 4 and 5 and of course each time you put in a new disk run step 1 to make sure you are mounting the correct partition of the correct disk.

this has worked for me and has allowed me to read old CD's that ML had decided were not compatible.

Apple if you read this why do you drop finder support for older CD's?

Good luck hope this helps people.

Posted on May 20, 2013 4:44 AM

There are no replies.

Mountain Lion displayed previously recorded CD as Blank

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.