Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will my programs still work when upgrading to 10.6?

I am using a MacPro with 10.5 and I want to upgrade to 10.6 but the thing is that I have some programs that I use continuously but I didn't pay for them (if you know what I mean...). Will these programs still work when I upgrade to 10.6?

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on May 20, 2013 6:31 AM

4 replies

May 20, 2013 6:39 AM in response to McMacker4

10.6 is Intel only. To continue the use of older non-Intel software, that software must work with Rosetta emulation (which almost evrything does). Be sure that when you are installing 10.6, the option to add Rosetta emulation to Mac OS X 10.6 is selected.

I do not know what you mean by your comments, but if this computer is being used for Business purposes, you are taking a huge risk that someone can come after you Business profits.

"Don't bet your business on 'borrowed' software."

May 20, 2013 6:51 AM in response to McMacker4

Almost everything that runs under 10.5 works fine under 10.6. No notable exceptions have been mentioned here.

The transition to 10.7, however, brings many long-running programs to an end. The top 6 are:

Word and Office 2004 and older

Photoshop CS2 and older

AppleWorks 6 and older

Eudora 6

FileMaker Pro 6

Quicken 2007 (but there is a patched version available for US$15)

Will my programs still work when upgrading to 10.6?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.