Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Audio Browser

Hi,

Ran into a couple things w/ the audio browser I can figure out. Hope someone can help.

First, I couldn't drag & drop an audio file from my iTunes library into a slideshow. My iTunes library lives on a drive connected to my Airport Extreme.

2nd. As a work around, I imported 2 tracks into the slide show. This allowed me to place the music into my slideshow.

Not knowing I had been succesful importing the files the first try, I imported them twice so they show up in the browser twice. How do you delete music files from the audio browser?

Aperture 3, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on May 20, 2013 9:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 20, 2013 9:41 AM

How were you trying to drag & drop from iTunes? Directly from the iTunes Window? Or using the Media Browser ? You cannot drag and drop from the iTunes Window to the Filmstrip, that will import the audio and add the audio to the album, not to the sound track. But you should be able to drag from the audio section of the Media Browser like this:

User uploaded file

To find and delete imported Audio use a smart album or a search and click "Add rule" to add the rule:

File type is audio.

User uploaded file

Regards

Léonie

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 20, 2013 9:41 AM in response to Tradesmith45

How were you trying to drag & drop from iTunes? Directly from the iTunes Window? Or using the Media Browser ? You cannot drag and drop from the iTunes Window to the Filmstrip, that will import the audio and add the audio to the album, not to the sound track. But you should be able to drag from the audio section of the Media Browser like this:

User uploaded file

To find and delete imported Audio use a smart album or a search and click "Add rule" to add the rule:

File type is audio.

User uploaded file

Regards

Léonie

May 20, 2013 10:50 AM in response to léonie

Thanks much leonie for the reply.

Yes, I was dragging the iTunes music file into the slideshow from within the Aperture audio browser. All my iTunes files are listed in the browser. But when I drag one to a slideshow, it bounces back to the browser. If I try to play the track using the play buttton in the Aperture audio browser, I get the message: The song "'XYZS" could not be used because the original file could not be located. BTW, all track plays fine w/in iTunes. And iTunes preferences is set to Share whole library.

I suspect this means Apertrue does not support network attached drive libraries or this is a bug or I have not correctly set this up. Any ideas?

You're Smart album trick worked, thanks! I assume this is an undocumented "feature".

May 20, 2013 11:08 AM in response to Tradesmith45

The song "'XYZS" could not be used because the original file could not be located. BTW, all track plays fine w/in iTunes. And iTunes preferences is set to Share whole library.

Can other applications see the iTunes Library in the Media Browser and access the audio file? If not, you may need to rebuild your iTunes Library, but then it may be better to ask in the iTunes forum.

iTunes: How to re-create your iTunes library and playlists

I suspect this means Apertrue does not support network attached drive libraries or this is a bug or I have not correctly set this up. Any ideas?

The Aperture library needs to be on a drive with MacOS X extended formatting, and a NAS is not recommended, but I do not know, if the media browser has similar problems.

You're Smart album trick worked, thanks! I assume this is an undocumented "feature".

It's all in the online Aperture User Manual, see the paragraph:

Searching for and Displaying Images: Searching by File Type

http://documentation.apple.com/en/aperture/usermanual/index.html#chapter=15%26se ction=0%26hash=apple_ref:doc:uid:Aperture-UserManual-91292SHD-SW1

Regards

Léonie

May 20, 2013 11:25 AM in response to léonie

[Can other applications see the iTunes Library in the Media Browser and access the audio file?]

Yes, just tried iDVD & it sees & can play tracks from iTunes.

Though I didn't mention it, I had no problem importing music into Aperture from the iTunes library using the Import dialogue. But that probably doesn't mean much.

Think it would help to rebuild the Aperture catalogue?

May 20, 2013 11:45 AM in response to Tradesmith45

Think it would help to rebuild the Aperture catalogue?

I would test if the Aperture library is making a difference, before I try that. Rebuilding takes a long time, and occasionally it can corrupt the library further, so you should not do it without a current backup.

To test if the library may be causing this, create a new, empty test library (File > Switch to library < Other/new), then import a few image files and try to access iTunes. Does it work?

May 20, 2013 12:33 PM in response to léonie

Well, well, well - very interesting results to report.

Rather than create a new Library, I just switched from my working library to an older library on an external drive. iTunes music shows up in the audio browser as expected but now they can be played there too. I cerated a new slideshow & was now able to drag iTunes music files into the slideshow. At lease on the computer the slideshow audio played fine.

When I switched back to the working library - the old problem was gone! Tracks will play from w/in Aperture audio browser & can be dragged into a slideshow where they also play just fine??????

Looks like Aperture needed a kick in the rear to get its pointers for iTunes right.

Thanks again.

Audio Browser

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.