Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Blurry Text On Dell UltraSharp U3014

I recently bought a Dell UltraSharp U3014 (30" Display). I have it connected to my MacBook Pro (2011 non-retina) via Mini DP to DP. I noticed that text seemed noticably blurry, and not as crisp/sharp as I would have expected them to be.

I've checked the Display Settings and the monitor is in fact using the highest resolution 2460 x 1600). Changing color profiles has no effect. Also in General Settings, Font Smoothing is turned on. I've tried settings that can be made in the terminal with no improved results:

Medium font smoothing:

<defaults -currentHost read -globalDomain AppleFontSmoothing -int 2

Light font smoothing:

defaults -currentHost read -globalDomain AppleFontSmoothing -int 1

Strong font smoothing:

defaults -currentHost read -globalDomain AppleFontSmoothing -int 3

This monitor is intended for a Windows computer that I have on the way, which I hope to get better results, but it would be nice to use this monitor for my MacBook when editing on occation. Any ideas?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on May 20, 2013 10:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 20, 2013 2:20 PM

The problem is in the monitor, not the Mac. I think the root cause is that the monitor / Mac connection is in "TV mode" - note that it says "NTSC" on the refresh rate.

However, a quick fix for the blurry text problem is to crank the monitor sharpness *down to 0* in the OSD.

I am seeing this problem on all the Dell U3014s that our new hires are getting at work, while the older Dell U3011s all work fine.

29 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 20, 2013 2:20 PM in response to Chrono_Trigger

The problem is in the monitor, not the Mac. I think the root cause is that the monitor / Mac connection is in "TV mode" - note that it says "NTSC" on the refresh rate.

However, a quick fix for the blurry text problem is to crank the monitor sharpness *down to 0* in the OSD.

I am seeing this problem on all the Dell U3014s that our new hires are getting at work, while the older Dell U3011s all work fine.

Jun 13, 2013 6:17 PM in response to Chrono_Trigger

The problem is the mac is incorrectly trying to use the YCbCr space instead of RGB to drive the monitor (confirm in monitor settings by going to OSM->Menu->Color Settings and checking "Input Color Format".

This post describes a fix: http://ireckon.net/2013/03/force-rgb-mode-in-mac-os-x-to-fix-the-picture-quality -of-an-external-monitor/comment-page-1#comments

I ran the ruby script and added the folder to /System/Library/Displays/Overrides, and now text is showing up fine, even at 50 sharpness. Color space is also showing "RGB" now.

Jun 13, 2013 10:34 PM in response to wffurr

Sorry wffurr this is wrong, the problem is indeed the Mac. Please see ippy04's answer below.

Untill I stumbled on that solution, i was using a dual link DVI adaptor to force the mac to output RGB mode, now I no longer need that adaptor.

The solution is in his answer. I will paste it here for convenience:

"

The problem is the mac is incorrectly trying to use the YCbCr space instead of RGB to drive the monitor (confirm in monitor settings by going to OSM->Menu->Color Settings and checking "Input Color Format".

This post describes a fix: http://ireckon.net/2013/03/force-rgb-mode-in-mac-os-x-to-fix-the-picture-quality -of-an-external-monitor/comment-page-1#comments

I ran the ruby script and added the folder to /System/Library/Displays/Overrides, and now text is showing up fine, even at 50 sharpness. Color space is also showing "RGB" now.

"

Jun 14, 2013 10:49 AM in response to wffurr

no sweat, I'm just getting really annoyed with Apple lately. They won me over from PC with their nice hardware designs.

But lately with them increasingly locking in to propritary hardware like the new MacbookPro (inability for user to replace RAM/Hard drive/Batery), and now this with preferential treatment of Monitors that are from apple, is really turning me off. I am seriously reconsidering the possibility of me ever owning another Apple computer in the future. :-(

PS, Apple, are you listening? Stop being such a communist and play nice with the rest of the world.

Jan 28, 2014 12:50 PM in response to Chrono_Trigger

Wow. I have been dealing with this problem for months with a 30" Dell U3014 and I didn't bother with support. Thanks for the link to script to workaround this issue.

Apple has had plenty of time to work this issue out so I suspect they have little interest in making a Dell or other display work properly with their hardware. I'd hoped that the Mavericks release would solve it but no.

Again, thanks for the link to the script. It worked perfectly.

Blurry Text On Dell UltraSharp U3014

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.