Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I correctly disconnect the card reader USB connection from the computer? In my Olympus instruction manual it says to drag the "no-name" icon to the trash, but that icon has disappeared. Total newbie here.

I'm a total newbie at importing photos. Finally figured out how to do it yesterday. Yay me. But then I just pulled out the USB connector & got yelled at by the computer, so today I'm trying to figure out how to do it correctly & eject the connection before yanking it out. My Olympus instruction manual says to drag the "no-name" icon to the trash, but the "no-name" icon has disappeared & I don't know where to go looking for it. I'm using a card reader; not directly connected to the camera, & I'm in iPhotos.

I'm pretty much a computer dinosaur, so please explain things simply & assume I still won't know what you are talking about. Really. I CAN follow directions pretty well.

iPhoto6-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on May 20, 2013 10:24 AM

14 replies

May 20, 2013 11:38 AM in response to LarryHN

The memory card is still in the reader. I'm afraid to touch anything after the "scolding" I got from the computer yesterday. Heh.

The only things listed in the Source list (pane?) are: "Library", "Last Roll", "Last 12 Months" & "Trash". There is no "NoName" & I see no little grey upside down triangle, unless I click on the right-facing triangle in front of "Library", but I don't think that's what you're talking about.

May 20, 2013 2:42 PM in response to siberia cats

Ok, does this sound right? Does the card reader "eject" itself after importing images?

I put the computer to sleep for a while, then came back to see if, perhaps, the "noName" icon would return. Well, it did, & started importing the images again, so I hit that little grey triangle, & the "NoName" disappeared again. So I thought, hmmmmm (always my first choice). And, even though there was still one little red light lit on the reader (as there had been when the computer was in sleep because I had been hoping to be able to sneakily yank it then, but, no), I pulled the USB connection out anyway. No computer panic message yelling that, because of what I had done, I may be responsible for the end of the world. So is that card reader smarter than me? (I'm afraid I already know that answer.) Does it "eject" itself when the images are completely imported to the computer? Then why (oh why) did the computer send me that "end of the world" message the first time I pulled the card reader?

I'm still so confused.

May 20, 2013 3:30 PM in response to siberia cats

so I hit that little grey triangle, & the "NoName" disappeared again.

You ejected it - do that and disconnect it - nothing magic - nothing automatic - you ejected it using teh instructions I posted

so before you remove the card you drag NoName to the trash (or click the dismount button next to it in the iPhoto window) and then remove your card and the card reader

LN

May 20, 2013 4:50 PM in response to LarryHN

Yes, ok, I'm glad that that's what happened with the grey triangle. However, please note, before I opened up the computer again from sleep-mode, that "NoName" was NOT in the Source list. That's why I started this discussion - I couldn't find "NoName" to be able to send it to the trash. I saw it when the pictures I had taken this morning were loading into the computer. Later, when I figured I should disconnect the card reader & memory card, I did not see "NoName" anywhere, & I came here to ask how I could find it to disconnect, or if there were another means to disconnect the USB connection safely. It was only after I put the computer into sleep mode & later opened it up that "NoName" appeared again as it started to re-import the images on the card, & I jumped on that grey triangle & it disappeared.

So, am I to assume that, if the reader sits inactive over a period of time, that it will eject itself, thereby disappearing from the Source list? In other words, if "NoName" is not included as part of the Source list, should I assume that it has somehow ejected & that I can safely remove the reader & card from the USB connection?

May 20, 2013 4:51 PM in response to siberia cats

So, am I to assume that, if the reader sits inactive over a period of time, that it will eject itself, thereby disappearing from the Source list? In other words, if "NoName" is not inclused as part of the Source list, should I assume that it has somehow ejected & that I can safely remove the reader & card from the USB connection?

No

There is NO automatic ejection

You import your photos and then eject and remove the card - it is not a good idea to leave it in as things may happen - just import, eject and remove

LN

May 20, 2013 4:59 PM in response to LarryHN

Ok, removing the card directily after importing images is a really sound & sensible idea. I'm so new to this that I got distracted with the photos, but I will remember to do this in the future. Thanks.

It sounds like you don't know the reason "NoName" disappeared after I left the reader & card languishing in the port after importing. I'll be sure to eject it quickly from now on so the same thing doesn't happen again.

Thanks for your time & advice.

How do I correctly disconnect the card reader USB connection from the computer? In my Olympus instruction manual it says to drag the "no-name" icon to the trash, but that icon has disappeared. Total newbie here.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.