Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

lost system library's com.apple.finder.plist

I accidentally deleted the com.apple.finder.plist from my System Library -> Launch Agents.

I was supposed to just delete the com.apple.finder.plist from my User Library to stop a bug with DVD burning. But now I'm stuck. Because I don't have a Finder, I can't display or access my backup drive with the backup of com.apple.finder.plist on it!!! Catch-22.

How on earth can I put in a copy of com.apple.finder.plist when I don't have a finder at all to navigate with?

URGENT that I solve this asap as I have a client waiting for me.....

thanks

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on May 20, 2013 12:15 PM

5 replies

May 20, 2013 12:19 PM in response to diannetrussell

Long shot but worth a try..........

Disconnect all devices from the computer then do the following:

Boot up from your System Snow Leopard Install DVD while holding down the "c" key.

Select the language you wish to use, and then choose "Disk Utility" from the menu bar.

Your HD should appear in a panel on the left hand side of the window which opens. Select it and then click on the "repair disk" button in the right hand section of the window.

Once this process has been completed restart your computer and repair permissions directly from Disk Utility.

If Disk Utility is unable to complete the repair, you will need to use a stronger 3rd party utility like DiskWarrior, Techtool PRO (not Deluxe) or Drive Genius.

User uploaded file

May 20, 2013 12:57 PM in response to Baby-Boomer-USofA

That would be great if I had an install disk. My local Apple Reseller installed 10.6.8 for me after a problem. So I have only my backup drive with a Time Machine bup on it, but because there's no Finder I can't navigate to anywhere to get any files. I plugged in the backup drive to my laptop and emailed myself the missing com.apple.finder.plist from day before yesterday. Then downloaded it to Macintosh HD -> System -> Library -> Launch Agents, but it doesn't show up and still won't launch after a re-start.

BADLY STUCK!

May 20, 2013 1:27 PM in response to diannetrussell

All Macs from Snow Leopard & below came w/system DVDs. Where are yours? What OS was pre-installed on your Mac when you purchased it? Get the SL system DVDs from the reseller. He/She should have given them to you.

You can get replacement System Install & Restore CD/DVDs from Apple's Customer Support - in the US, (800) 767-2775 - for a nominal S&H fee. You'll need to have the model and/or serial number of your Mac available.

If you're not in the US, you may need to go through the regional Apple Store that serves your location to find the contact number. Here's a list of links to all of those - http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/intlstoreroutingpage.html Another resource: International Support Phone #s.

User uploaded file

May 20, 2013 1:41 PM in response to Baby-Boomer-USofA

I've got my OS 10.5 install disk. But I already did Repair Disk with Disk Utility from my dock, and it did not restore the Finder app. So why would using the OS 10.5 disk to run Repair Disk do any different?

I sure don't want to re-install 10.5 on my iMac because I'd lose some key applications etc long story. Somehow I've got to be able to fix this problem without doing a re-install, and preferably without having to cart my big iMac on an hour's drive to the Apple dealer and pay a chunk of money I don't have this week, or next week and worse, have to leave my computer with them until they have time to fix it. I have urgent paid work going on right now for two clients and have to finish ....

Any other ideas that I could try would be appreciated....

lost system library's com.apple.finder.plist

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.