Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does Apple Dvd Player keep a list of dvds you played?

Dear Friends,

Does Apple Dvd Player keep a list of dvds you played? If so,where is it?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), connected to a 250G external firewire drive

Posted on May 20, 2013 1:47 PM

10 replies

May 20, 2013 5:32 PM in response to CMCSK

I did some more research and found this answer

John Guo New York

It's in User Name>Library>Application Support>DVD Player. If you delete all of the files, inserting a DVD that has already been read by DVD Player will prompt to start from the beginning.

I believe this is correct. There was 300MB of stuff. Unfortunately it is in an unreadable form. I was hoping to use this information to "remember" which movies I had already seen.

May 21, 2013 8:02 AM in response to Walter Lieberman

Many (but not all) plist files in Application Support/DVD Player/Settings use the key "MediaName" to store the titles of DVDs that the application has played. (Some plist files in this folder have other purposes, so we'll leave those out of the equation.) Thus you could open every plist in Settings, check for the presence of the MediaName key, and then note the content. For example, using Property List Editor to open a plist that stores a DVD title, you'll see a line like:

MediaName String TROY

TextEdit will show something similar:

<key>MediaName</key>

<string>TROY</string>

But you'll probably want to see all the titles at once. Let me suggest a Terminal solution. Open Terminal, then navigate to the appropriate folder:

cd /Users/username/Library/Application\ Support/DVD\ Player/Settings[RETURN]

(Replace username with your username.)

Then issue this command:

awk '/MediaName/{c=2} c&&c--' *.plist[RETURN]

The result will look something like this:

<key>MediaName</key>

<string>ALEXANDER_NEVSKY</string>

<key>MediaName</key>

<string>TROY</string>

<key>MediaName</key>

<string>EXCALIBUR_16X9_FF_NA</string>

<key>MediaName</key> ….

Does Apple Dvd Player keep a list of dvds you played?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.