Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV "Loading" Photostream never completes

Good day all,

I am running Apple TV version 5.2.1

Selecting "photos / photo stream / my shared photo streams / insert name of stream here shared by me" as the screen saver, then preview results in a "LOADING" message that never goes away.

I have the screen saver set to run in 2 minutes during music play. While playing music the first 2 minutes displays the album / song information in full screen. Then after 2 minutes that drops to a small display in the lower left. After about 30 seconds the screen goes blank.

So neither the preview nor the actual screen saver work.

I use the same shared photo stream succesfully elsewhere.

Any ideas? It is HIGHLY possible this is user error.

Thanks,

Alex

Posted on May 20, 2013 2:14 PM

14 replies

May 23, 2013 3:02 AM in response to Alex Neil

Thank you Judy.

Yes, I was aware I could point to a local resource on my iMac. But my iMac may or may not be on at any given moment.

The shared photo stream was working as recently as last month. I can access the iCloud shared stream from a browser. It is public. I added images to it 5 days ago.

So I am not certain what changed. No updates were performed on the Apple TV.

It is a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma.

Regards,

Alex

Nov 8, 2013 11:28 AM in response to Alex Neil

Hi guys, i have the same problem. My Apple TV screensaver worked perfectly streaming images from icloud folder to my Apple TV screensaver. It all worked fine but sudenly stopped working. When the screensaver tries to stream now it shows "Loading" and it is loading for a few minutes, but with no results. Need to say that it doesnt work in both screensaver preview as well as screensaver after 2or3or5 ...minutes mode. Apple should definitelly do something about it. Yes i can work it around with Flicker but i expect iCloud should work with apple TV. On my windows media center the same works fine.

May 28, 2014 9:43 PM in response to BobbyB813

Same issue here. It used to work fine. The main function we use on the AppleTV is to stream photos and music from my PC to my TV. Over the past months, when I try to display ALL of my photos (12k+), I get the never-ending "Loading" (only interrupted by the screensaver kicking in and showing a few photos). If I pick a sub-folder in My Pictures, it sometimes works. I'm tempted to go back to my original AppleTV 1st Gen with the hard drive. My AppleTV is unusable for the purpose for which I bought it. Help!

Jul 22, 2014 10:57 AM in response to Alex Neil

Same issue here. Been struggling with this thinking it was a network issue.

• Getting black screen when slideshow is supposed to come up (under Preview as well).
  • Seems I can get it to load after restarting AppleTV, but problem keeps coming back.
  • Seems like it helps to go to Screensaver menu, select iCloud and have it reload all albums (with thumbnails) first before selecting album.
  • Also relevant, I'm able to get it to work fine with iCloud account that only has 150 pictures, but when trying to use main iCloud account with about 2000 pictures, it acts up.
  • Seems to perform better when on ethernet. When on wireless, even with a good wireless signal with good signal/noise ratio, I get black screen for minutes before pictures load after restart.
  • Problem still not solved since the black screen will ultimately return and stay black indefinitely until restart.

Still troubleshooting. Will post more info as I get it...

Dec 26, 2014 8:36 PM in response to Alex Neil

Yes, bad job by Apple on this screen saver as well as the entire interface with using AppleTV, it should be a lot easier. I also experience inconsistent behavior and connections with home sharing. I'm very computer savvy as I work in graphic design and web design, so I feel as though I am responding from a point of knowledge within the tech field.

Apple makes a lot of outstanding products, but at times they neglect the smaller ones that could have so much more potential if they actually put some common sense and money behind it. Apple wants to dominate content in the living room and this is their gateway yet by the time people truly start abandoning their direct TV and Cable Boxes Apple will have a lot of unhappy first experiencers with Apple TV. Not good.

Apple TV "Loading" Photostream never completes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.