Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need to convert all my movie files from H.264 to Pro Res HQ

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to finalize a project for color and can't export a proper EDL. I've been told in order to get proper timecode I need to transcode all my .MOVs (H.264 codec) I got from my Mark III to Pro Res. I know Final Cut has a Recompress feature in the Media Manager, but I've been led to believe I need to use a third-party software to do the transcode. Is this true? Is there any difference in how long one will take vs. the other? Any difference in quality? Thanks.

iPad 2, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on May 20, 2013 2:53 PM

15 replies

May 20, 2013 3:44 PM in response to marcfromastoria

>What are your feelings about Wondershare Video Converter?

Heard mainly bad things. But why use that, when you have free options available to you?

1) FCP media manager...RECOMPRESS

2) Compressor (Free, came with FCP)

3) MPEG STREAMCLIP (Free)

The last two options will convert EVERYTHING..so your hard drive will fill up fast. Using FCP and the Media Manager, only the footage used in the cut will be converted.

May 21, 2013 7:00 AM in response to marcfromastoria

I've actually had great success with media managing h264 to prores within fcp. I didn't do ANY editing in fcp. I had about 16 hrs of material from dslr's that I lined up with audio in premiere. I edited selects and exported an xml that I brought into fcp. FCP kept the links to the h264 files. I then did a prores media manage and it worked fine with one minor exception. Although everything matched between the media managed prores files, and my timeline, there seemed to be a problem with the metadata of the prores files that showed some slight discrepancy with frame rate and indicated that these clips would need to be rendered for export. I took all the clips into cinematools and did a conform to 23.976 fps and everything was fine.

Your mileage may vary, but worth a shot.

Oh and are you from Astoria, Queens, NY? If so, hi neighbbor.

Need to convert all my movie files from H.264 to Pro Res HQ

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.