Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Merge libraries

My primary Aperture library is on a iMac. At times I created libraries on a MacBook Pro as well. Some of the originals are the same as on the desktop computer. I recently tried to merge these two. the process appeared to go well however the projects on the desktop computer are listed and empty. I am not sure what caused this. I did the transfer by connecting an ethernet cable between the two computers as I thought the process would be faster.

Can anybody help with this?

Posted on May 20, 2013 6:30 PM

1 reply

May 20, 2013 11:32 PM in response to LarryJay

Aperture works more reliable with locally mounted volumes. Copy the library from the MBP to an external drive or try again by connecting the machines directly in target disk mode, if you have a firewire cable or thunderbolt cable: See this document: Transfer files between two computers using target disk mode

Also Make sure, that all libraries are in good repair. Run the Aperture Library First Aid Tools on both libraries, to ensure that their are no permission problems and the database files are consistent:
See: Aperture 3 User Manual: Repairing and Rebuilding Your Aperture Library

The merge sometimes does fail, if Aperture assumes the libraries you want to merge to be duplicates of each other. Two things to try:

• When you are prompted if you want to merge or to add, try "add". This way you will import duplicates, but at least you will import your library.
  • Or turn the MBP library that you want to merge into your iMac library into a new library first: import it into a new empty library, then import this new library into the library on your iMac.

Regards

Léonie

Merge libraries

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.