Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2011 mac mini install snow leopard

Dear All,

I have 2011 mac mini (10.7 Lion, i5, the lowest version) and 2010 iMac (10.6 Snow Leopard, i3). Mac OS X 10.7 Lion was installed on the 2011 mac mini.

I have Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard's install-disk, and i wondered if any possible to install snow leopard on the mac mini? Should I need to find 2011 mac mini's driver for it?

thanks

,David Tung

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on May 20, 2013 9:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 20, 2013 9:13 PM

Install Mac OS X 10.6 onto an external drive and update that system to 10.6.8; if that doesn't work, it's not possible.

(83070)

5 replies

May 21, 2013 9:50 AM in response to Community User

There is a long thread on this forum which details how to do just what you want. Be sure to search out Newfoundglory's posts and his links to the proper driver that are needed for Snow Leopard:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3209335?answerId=17297662022#17297662022

It is not a trivial exercise...

Why do you need to run Snow Leopard on your 2011 i5 Mac Mini (asks someone who is running Snow Leopard Server in Parallels 8 on his i5 2011 Mac Mini running Lion)?

User uploaded file

[click on image to enlarge]

May 21, 2013 8:15 PM in response to MlchaelLAX

Thank you! =D

It helped me a lot. I need to install snow leopard on my 2011 i5 Mac Mini because snow leopard seens faster than mountain lion on my imac (I am not sure)?

I shut down and start my macs everyday, I wanna know the older OS X may faster on my mac mini? =)

In the mountain lion, safari's bookmarks and documents was connected with iCloud, when I upload my new bookmark from my backups, mountain lion turn died (always), no matter I clearn install mountain lion, it not for help.

May 21, 2013 10:44 PM in response to Community User

Yes, many people are not happy with Lion/Mt. Lion for one or another reason, which is why that thread worked so hard to get Snow Leopard to work on our Mac Mini.

As for me, I keep mine running 24/7 so startup time is not as important for me and I have kept Lion as my operating system and am relatively happy with it.

That being said, I needed access to Rosetta for running some PowerPC apps and I developed a method to install Snow Leopard into Parallels, which was documented originally on this forum but moved to MacRumors due to their ability to edit/modify posts more easily over there.

That thread became mostly moot when Apple recently re-released Snow Leopard Server for a 95% discount - $20! SLS is much easier to install into Parallels and operate and maintain it, too.

2011 mac mini install snow leopard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.