Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes can’t verify the identity of the server

Since updating to iTunes 11.0.3 I get the following dialog boxes every time I start iTunes:

iTunes can’t verify the identity of the server “upp.itunes.apple.com”.

The certificate for this server is invalid. You might be connecting to a server that is pretending to be “itunes.apple.com”, which could put your confidential information at risk. Would you like to connect to the server anyway?

iTunes can’t verify the identity of the server “p16-buy.itunes.apple.com”.

The certificate for this server is invalid. You might be connecting to a server that is pretending to be “p16-buy.itunes.apple.com”, which could put your confidential information at risk. Would you like to connect to the server anyway?

Very annoying to say the least.

Can anyone help me solve the problem and eliminate these dialog boxes on startup?

Thanks,

Bruce

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7.5), 23 inch Apple Display. LaCie CD/DVD

Posted on May 21, 2013 12:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 22, 2013 9:35 PM

I solved the problem by contacting Apple Support.

I remained persistent and was pushed up the chain until I was put in contact with an "expert". Cannot remember her name, however, she walked me through the steps necessary to solve the problem. It had to do with the pLists for the appstore and itunes located in the user preference folder. Plus, she also had me delete a few certificate files.

I would not feel comfortable explaining the steps to you as I am not an expert. Contact Apple Support.

There was no cost to me as I stated I had just downloaded the new version of iTunes and that was when the problem began.

The woman who helped me was AMAZING.

Hope this helps.

26 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 22, 2013 9:35 PM in response to macusersince85

I solved the problem by contacting Apple Support.

I remained persistent and was pushed up the chain until I was put in contact with an "expert". Cannot remember her name, however, she walked me through the steps necessary to solve the problem. It had to do with the pLists for the appstore and itunes located in the user preference folder. Plus, she also had me delete a few certificate files.

I would not feel comfortable explaining the steps to you as I am not an expert. Contact Apple Support.

There was no cost to me as I stated I had just downloaded the new version of iTunes and that was when the problem began.

The woman who helped me was AMAZING.

Hope this helps.

Aug 25, 2013 6:55 AM in response to Bruce Reading

Same problem here. It took me hours to find this solution that worked perfectly:

1. Close iTunes and the App Store
  2. In Finder go to Applications, Utilities and open Keychain Access
  3. Click on "System Roots" under "Keychains"
  4. Click on "Certificates" under "Category"
  5. For every certificate listed that shows a little blue dot with a plus sign do the following:
    1. Open it up by double-clicking on it.
    2. Click on the triangle next to "Trust"
    3. In "Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) choose " no value specified"
    4. Close the certificate (you will most likely have to enter your admin password)
    5. Open the certificate again
    6. In "When using this certificate:" choose "Use System Defaults"
    7. Close the certificate (you will most likely have to enter your admin password)
    8. The blue dot with the plus sign should disappear.
  6. When no certificates show this blue dot anymore, close the Keychain Access.
  7. Open up iTunes or the App Store. The connection should work now.

Hope this helps.

Jan 14, 2014 9:16 PM in response to Imitation

@Imation

The problem occured right after an update through the App Store. So if the official update from Apple caused this, I don't really think there is a risk. There are other threads about this problem. I've tried all the other suggestions (checking the date setting, reinstalling iTunes, deleting certain files, etc.) and none of these worked. AppleCare couldn't help other than suggesting try to reinstall the whole system and then transfer all the files and change the settings manually. Well, my solution works and no one has reported back any negative results. But if you have a better solution, please post it hear. We are all eager to read it.

Jan 14, 2014 10:21 PM in response to Bruce Reading

Hello All,

I began this thread in May of last year and in my June follow-up explained that I had obtained a fix through Apple. As I noted then, I did not remember the exact sequence the "Expert" had me undertake, however seeing Freeddon4U2's August 25th step by step process for solving the problem I am certain that it is the same one that I used at that time as it too had to do with changes to the blue dotted Certificates.

Have not had a recurrance of the problem since.

B. Reading

iTunes can’t verify the identity of the server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.