Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCal sends multiple emails for invites and updates to event attendees - HELP!

Every time I create or send an event in iCal, it sends multiple emails to each attendee (2-3 duplicate emails) with the same event. So if I have 3 event invitees, they get 3 emails each. All the emails are sent from the correct account in Apple Mail, and the calendar itself shows only one email address for each attendee, but for some reason the sent folder shows that each person was emailed 2-3 times. This is causing quite a problem for work, as any invite I send is clogging up inboxes with duplicate and triplicates for each attendee.

When I send a meeting acceptance, it only sends one reply, so I have no idea why it's duplicating or triplicating events when new ones are sent out or udpated by me. I can't delete my calendar without losing important events from clients or what not, so I'm not sure what to do.

Also notable:

I am NOT using iCloud calendars as I needed to create a calendar group and iCloud didn't support that.

My calendar is syncing to an FTP so that people in my main office can view and download my calendar as needed.

I am on a brand new (not even 2 mos old) MacBook Pro Retina 2013 model, with OS X 10.8.3

I am on Calendar 6.0

I can't change/update events on my calendar from one sub-calendar to another once they are created (though I can edit on my iPhone and resync). This is really annoying and I've posted about this before to no avail (thread here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4921370?answerId=21646850022#21646850022 and here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3920017?start=0&tstart=0).

For now (for this thread) I'd like any help possible in getting my calendar to send just ONE email to meeting attendees when I create and/or update an event.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on May 21, 2013 8:07 AM

2 replies

Aug 31, 2016 10:16 AM in response to cjmillar82

I know this is an old thread, but I am having this same problem. Curious to see if you were ever given a resolution. In my case, new calendar invitations don't usually have a problem. I get a single email sent to each person when I schedule a meeting; however, if I make a change, calendar blasts email out like spam!, but not always...

I have not been able to replicate it reliably. I was only aware of the issue because of feedback from others. For example, today, I had to drop a person from a recurring meeting on my calendar. The number of invitees went from 8 to 7. Each of the invitees got 5 emails; 2 cancels and 3 invitations (or vice versa). 35 emails total went out to those that remained on the invitation; I am sure the person that was removed got something too, but, he is no longer around so I didn't get his feedback.

This does not happen every time. I had a meeting with external clients that I had to make a change so, to manage perceptions, I sent an email apologizing for the email blast about to occur. After the change, one of my employees let me know that he only got one email... go figure.

While it doesn't happen every time, it happens more often than not on calendar changes.

I am on El Capitan (10.11.6), but this issue affected me in prior releases. I use an iMac desktop and a Macbook Air and it does not seem to be constrained to either machine. I am using calendar to front a corporate email system hosted on Office 360. Other than this issue, I can't identify any other problems with the connectivity to Office 360.

Any advice or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

iCal sends multiple emails for invites and updates to event attendees - HELP!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.