Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slow Shut Down Time For Macbook Pro Retina Snow Leapord

Hello, I was hoping somoene could help me with the following problems.

I have brand new Macbook Pro Retina, 15inch, 16G RAM, 500G of SSD, running Mountain Lion, and lots of professional recording software. My macbook frequently shuts down after 30 seconds, that wonderful grey wheel spinning in the center of the screen as if it were an old PC.

I've contacted apple frequently. They check to see that I've repaired disk permission, they reset...the RAM i believe, they ask if i shut down all the programs. Even through doing all of this, usually my macbook takes 30 seconds to shut down. Sometimes it takes only 5, which is how it usually should be. ANd this occurence seems to be inconsistent with the apps I use. Sometimes it takes long to shutdown when i've barely used a thing. Other times it shuts down immediately when i've used a lot of different programs at once. So there's no constant.

The apple boys suggest reformatting the computer to make sure it isn't a hardware issue. I refuse to accept that after only 3 months of use I already have to reformat everything. It's not the most enjoyable experience because I'd have to reinstal all my audio software despite Time Machine's magic tricks. Any suggestions?

Here is a link I've found on the matter: http://thecustomizewindows.com/2013/02/fix-mountain-lion-slow-shut-down-time/

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), lacie external hardrive

Posted on May 21, 2013 8:10 AM

5 replies

May 21, 2013 8:47 AM in response to izzymoshay

These terminal commands decrease the excecution time of a process that has caused slow shutdown times for many users. This resolved my slow shutdowns. IF you are comfortable using terminal you can give them a shot, but be VERY careful using terminal.

These terminal commands should also fix the problem then and kill the services after 2 seconds:

Code:

sudo launchctl unload /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.coreservices.appleevents.plist

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.coreservices.appleevents ExitTimeOut -int 2

sudo launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.coreservices.appleevents.plist

May 21, 2013 10:03 AM in response to izzymoshay

It has something to do with mountain lion. I noticed this when I first upgraded to mountain lion a little less then a year ago. Eventually went back to lion, my mac came with lion so I could do that. A week or so ago I upgrade from lion to mountain lion again and now I have the spinning segments wheel every time I shut the system down. Some times is take 3-5 seconds others it seems like forever and I wonder if the system is hanging. But then does shut down. With lion is take about 2 seconds from selecting shut down to the screen going dark.

May 22, 2013 9:19 AM in response to izzymoshay

I had this same issue, and was able to eventually pin it down to Parallells 7.

I use Parallells to run Windows 7 when I have normal software to use. But 3D graphics rendering doesn't go well, so occassionally I have to reboot into Bootcamp. This is where the lag time is most annoying.

I called Apple Support and all of the tings they had me do were useless.

After a lot of research on the internet I learned that it is a problem with Parallells 7, and that Parallells 8 solves the problem.

Parallells 8 cost me $49.95, but given the number of times I have to reboot per day in order to get into Bootcamp, my time is worth it.

Hope this helps.

Slow Shut Down Time For Macbook Pro Retina Snow Leapord

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.