Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

voice over won't turn off

My iPod nano 6th gen voice over appears to be turned off everywhere I look, yet I still get the screen text read to me intermittently as new songs begin playing. My headphones do have a mic and I'm wondering if that is somehow triggering the voice over to go on. It's very annoying. Anyone else have this issue?

iPod nano (6th generation)

Posted on May 21, 2013 9:21 AM

5 replies

Aug 3, 2013 6:15 AM in response to sid_licious

Hey, sid_licious: I, too, have suffered through the maddening torture of The VoiceOver. Especially maddening is its' apparent randomness in bringing itself to life. I've wondered if, for example, the movement of my headphone cable jack in the ipod itself could have caused the problem. I HATE, HATE, HATE the feature: it has no place in my life (or ears) so I looked around the apple website and found these instructions to uninstall VoiceOver completely. Not sure if this permenant solution is what you're looking for but, I'm going to give it a try later today. That said, I obviously don't know if it's going to work. Here it is:

How to uninstall VoiceOver Kit

By downloading VoiceOver Kit to your computer, your iPod will announce the names of your songs, artists, and playlists. If you no longer wish to use the VoiceOver feature on your iPod and want to remove the VoiceOver Kit from your computer, follow the steps below.

For Mac OS X:

1. Quit iTunes.
  2. In the Finder, choose Go > Go to Folder.
  3. Enter /Library/Application Support/iTunes and click Go.
  4. Drag the "iPodVoiceOver.framework" folder to the Trash.
  5. Open iTunes.
  6. Sync your iPod to iTunes.

For Windows Vista and Windows 7:

1. Quit iTunes.
  2. On the Start menu, click Control Panel.
  3. Under Programs, click Uninstall a program. Alternately, in Classic View of Control Panel, click Programs and Features.
  4. Select VoiceOver Kit and click Uninstall.
  5. After the uninstall is complete, open iTunes.

For Windows XP:

1. Quit iTunes.
  2. On the Start menu, click Control Panel.
  3. Open the Add or Remove Programs control panel.
  4. Select VoiceOver Kit and click Remove.
  5. After the uninstall is complete, open iTunes.

Good luck!

Aug 5, 2013 6:48 AM in response to Volantiad

Hey Volantiad

I think the issue was with the earbuds with the built in mic. I use my nano a lot when I workout and the buttons on the mic get shorted when sweat gets in there. My solution is to switch to a set of ear buds without the built in mic. I've always thought the built in mic was lame anyway, especially on a nano. So far, I haven't had the voice over come on with these new buds.

Good luck!

S

Aug 5, 2013 9:15 AM in response to sid_licious

Well, Sid, I've wondered about the earbuds too, but I've never used a set with a mic in them and still had the problem. This most recent time (and, if I recall, at least once previously) it was when I rotated the earbud jack in the nano that The Voice started her maniacal onslought of obtrusive inturruption. So far, I've used the nano a couple of times since I fiddled with the two 'voice off' features and ~ knock wood ~ haven't had any trouble since. What I remember from the last time I had probs with this, though, is that even with the settings 'off' it would sometimes resurrect itself, zombie-style, and begin the litany all over again.

BTW, I added an edit to that post with the instructions. The edit was important because it basically said you can't follow the instructions, not at least on OSX 10.8.2. There's no iTunes folder in Application Support.

Anyway, I wish you luck with yours, too!

V

Jul 13, 2016 6:09 PM in response to sid_licious

Trying turning voice over off on the Nano and in Itunes to no avail.

Finally found thru googling (Not Apple who did not know) that the cause is using headphones with a microphone, changed to the headphones wo a microphone and the problem was resolved.

Suspect that this was the case with the ipod touch I initially purchased as it had a similar issue, I returned it for a nano only to find the same problem.

Sorry I traded the itouch in as I liked it very much but really can't take the chance of getting one again after my bad experience.

voice over won't turn off

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.