Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is Apple's official line on hand-cut nano-SIMs?

I use local SIM cards whenever I travel and I never pay roaming charges. The downside is that I need to obtain a new SIM card for each new country that I visit.

Whilst many carriers now issue nano-SIMs, there are some who still don't or they make it difficult for prepaid customers. I'm getting a bit fed up with ordering or buying a nano-SIM (which should be 12.30x8.80x0.67mm) but receiving a hand-cut nano-SIM (which is 12.30x8.80x0.76mm), i.e. 13% thicker than it should be. Although 0.76mm-thick SIM cards can be forced into an iPhone 5, they don't go in easily and I've read reports they can get stuck so it wouldn't surprise me if this invalidates the iPhone 5's warranty.

Some examples of offending networks are:

• O2 Czech Republic - despite the advice on their web site, many of their shops use SIM-cutters to create a 0.76mm-thick SIM card for prepaid customers.
  • LycaMobile and Toggle Mobile - one of the fastest growing prepaid MVNOs in many developed countries, with prices very suitable for short-term visitors to a country. If you order a nano-SIM, they send you a hand-cut 0.76mm-thick SIM card.

What is Apple's official line on using hand-cut nano-SIMs? It would be useful to quote a knowledgebase article to the errant carriers.

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on May 21, 2013 9:29 AM

5 replies

May 21, 2013 9:34 AM in response to NFH.

Apple doesn't have a position on it one way or another. Why should they? They are not a cellular carrier. if you walk into an Apple Store with a hand cut SIM complaining that your phone doesn't work, they will tell you to go get a real Nano-SIM first.

I don't believe it will void the phone's warranty in any way unless it were to cause physical damage to the phone.

May 21, 2013 9:44 AM in response to KiltedTim

KiltedTim wrote:

Apple doesn't have a position on it one way or another. Why should they? They are not a cellular carrier.

If hand-cut nano-SIMs have the potential to damage the iPhone, then Apple quite possibly would have a position on it, in terms of both advice to users and warranty conditions. As the manufacturer, it would be logical for them to do so.

May 21, 2013 10:05 AM in response to NFH.

Apple will support only SIMs that are manufactured in the correct size appropriate for the iPhone model. They will, as Tim said, instruct you to get a valid, correct SIM from your cell carrier should you have any problems with an iPhone that is using a cut-down SIM. And if a cut-down SIM causes damage to the iPhone, that will most likely void the warranty on the iPhone. The warranty statement has terms that exclude coverage for damage resulting from use of other products or caused by the user. So from that standpoint they have an "official position", if you wish to consider it as such.

Regards.

What is Apple's official line on hand-cut nano-SIMs?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.