Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My passcode lock is Off but my restrictions are On.

...and therefore, some of the Settings, such as Messages and Facetime, are greyed out. I have 9 failed passcode attempts in Settings>Restrictions. If I choose to turn On my Passcode Lock, it asks me to set a new Passcode. Setting a new Passcode does nothing for the greyed out aps, and trying the new Passcode lock only proved to add another failed Passcode attempt in the hope of turning Restrictions Off. What is going on? Are there two different Passcodes? Thanks for reading this and I hope you have an explanation that will help me avoid rebuilding the stuff from scratch.

iPad 2, iOS 6.0.1

Posted on May 21, 2013 11:55 AM

4 replies

May 21, 2013 5:50 PM in response to racofi

If you have to ask, who's got the backup, then you probably don't have one - unless you unknowingly backup with iCloud. If you restore from a backup that has the restrictions passcode in it, that won't do any good since you be restoring the passcode back onto the device.

The two passcode a could be the same passcode, but they can be different as well. Setting up a passcode lock for the device now will not work for the restrictions passcode. That has no bearing on rhe other passcode at this point. One passcode doesn't work for both areas unless you set it up that way from the start.

You have to restore the device as new. That is the only way to remove the restrictions passcode. In other words, you do have to start from scratch now.

Settings>General>Reset>Erase all content and settings will wipe the iPad clean and you can start over and activate again. Download all of your purchased content again using the same Apple ID - or as much as still available in the various stores on the iPad.

Downloading past purchases from the App Store ... - Support - Apple

My passcode lock is Off but my restrictions are On.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.