Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

change podcast feed url

I submitted my podcast to apple. I wanted the feed to come from my site. Instead apple got my feedburner feed most likely because I had rss feed redirect turned on in my theme. Long story short....my podcast now shows my episodes as well as my blog posts. I dont' want that!

How can I go about having my feed in itunes changed my feedburner feed to my self hosted one.

iTunes-OTHER, Podcast

Posted on May 21, 2013 12:12 PM

7 replies

May 21, 2013 12:35 PM in response to johnnymack17

Episodes which don't have playable media won't appear in iTunes; though it is better not to mix them.

In order to move the iTunes Store to moving a different feed you have to add a special tag to the feed currently in use. I don't know whether you can do this in Feedburner directly, but if it's working from an original feed you can add the tag there. The method is described here: please read it thoroughly before proceeding.

http://www.wilmut.webspace.virginmedia.com/notes/podcast.html#move

Make sure to check the new feed by subscribing to it manually in iTunes: don't proceed until it works satisfactorily.

May 21, 2013 12:49 PM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Roger -

Thank you for the reply.

My site uses the Powerpress plugin and it has the ability to add the new tag you are referring to, to the podcast feed. The problem is iTunes is pointing to my feedburner feed. I'm not sure if it was the right thing to do but I have deleted and permanently 301 redirected my feedburner feed to my blog rss feed. So now when itunes serves my podcast, since it's still pointing to my now deleted feedburner feed it redirects to my standard blog rss feed. This being the case i'm not sure that iTunes will even be able to see the new tags i put in place becasue they are not in the blog feed nor are they in the feedburner feed. They are only in the podcast feed which itunes is not looking seeing yet.

Are you following me on this?

May 21, 2013 2:25 PM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Here's url of store page:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-app-review-zone/id650214255?mt=2

User uploaded file

If you open it up in a browser or in itunes or in the podcasts iphone app it looks fine. But if you open it up in the iCatcher podcast app you can see it's pointing to my blog's rss feed and shows 10 episodes when I have only made one episode so far. The rest of the "episodes" are blog posts!! Not podcast episodes!

Screenshot (I run an app review website. FYI :

User uploaded file

The first item is the podcast. The rest are my blog posts!! The feed URL should read this:

http://www.theappreviewzone.com/feed/podcast/

Also here's a link to a post on eHow about deleting a feedburner feed. See #2 the 30 day redirection. That's what i did

http://www.ehow.com/how_8545258_delete-feedburner-feed.html

Hope that helps.

May 21, 2013 2:38 PM in response to johnnymack17

iTunes is using the feed at http://www.theappreviewzone.com/feed/ - presumably the result of the 301 redirect Feedburner has apparently set up for you.

This feed contains one episode which contains playable media and several which don't.

On subscribing in iTunes only the one episode appears, because iTunes does not display episodes with no playable media; the Store is the same.

Of course, if you look at the feed in any other RSS reader it will show all the episodes. Your page at

http://www.theappreviewzone.com/

shows the same episodes, and the feed is derived from this. All this is is behaving as you would expect. I don't know whether it's possible to set WordPress to produce a separate feed which includes only the episodes with media. If it is, and you can get such a feed working, then you will have to go through the process I described in the page Iinked to above. If you can't edit the feed in this way you can try emailing them at podcasts 'at' apple.com and asking them to change it for you. You will need to give the the Store page URL, the URL of the new feed, and presumably the URL of the now non-existent Feedburner feede (or both that and the present feed).

As you see there is actually no problem in iTunes at the moment in having a mixture of episode types because it ignores the non-podcast episodes. However, WordPress is probably by default limiting the number of episodes in the feed to around 30, removing older posts once that limit is reached. This will result in your earlier podcast episodes disappearing even though there are only a small number of them, so you will need to increase the number of posts allowed in the feed - there is presumably a setting for this.

May 21, 2013 2:47 PM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Roger -

Thanks for your help with this. With powerpress plugin i can create a podast only feed however because iTunes is looking at my feedburner feed it automatically is getting redirected by feedburner to my main blog page. I'll see if I can add add the new html elements to my main blog page and maybe that would help move it.

It's good to know that itunes will filter those out. I have a setting of 50 episodes set when i initially created the podcast so i'm hoping that is still the case.

Is there some kind of email address I could email something to and get more personalized help with this? I'm not sure if this is something that can be automatically fixed.

May 21, 2013 2:58 PM in response to johnnymack17

johnnymack17 wrote:

I'll see if I can add add the new html elements to my main blog page and maybe that would help move it.

That won't do any good at all. You need to add the 'itunes:new-feed-url' tag to the actual coding of the feed currently in use. Do that, and it will sort itself out. (Leave it in place for a couple of weeks. It will have no effect on anything except iTunes.)

If you are unable to edit the feed itself, then I gave you the support email in my earlier post - podcasts 'at' apple.com.

Before you do anything, subscribe to the feed you are proposing to move to in iTunes (from the 'File' menu in v11 or the 'Advanced' menu in earlier versions) and make sure it is working as expected.

Once the feed has been moved successfully the redirect will be permanent and the 301 in Feedburner will no longer be necessary.

change podcast feed url

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.