Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recommendation for external hard disk for Mac Pro

I am fast exhausting my backup hard disk space and am looking for some recommendations for buying one external drive solution primarily for backup/Time machine.

My present configuration is below:

1. 120GB SSD bootable internal disk containing all applications. This drive is cloned to an external MyPassport firewire drive

2. 4 x 2TB internal HDD in the following Soft RAID volumes

a. 3.87 TB Master where I store all my data (created by a RAID 0 with drives 1 and 2) cloned to an external Western Digital My Studio II 2TB disk (1x2TB)

b. 3.87 TB tm running time machine (created by a RAID 0 with drices 3 and 4)

c. 256 GB Scratch disk (created by a RAID 0 with drives 1,2,3 and 4

the Finder looks something like this.

User uploaded file

What I would like to do is

1. to have an external HDD running time machine backing up data incrementally from Master .

2. Clone Master on to the internal same size volume "tm"

Presently, my data size is 1.77GB and growing so I am considering a 6-8 TB external HDD for the time machine. This can only be bought either in a 2x3 TB or 2x4 TB enclosures in RAID 0 mode like the Hitachi G-RAID drives, which means there is no redundancy in case of drive failure. The other option is to go for multiple drive enclosures in RAID 5 like Hitachi G-Speed Q. I plan to connect them with eSATA PCIe card.

Any suggestions, keeping costs in mind would be very much appreciated.

Best

Gautam

Mac Pro (Mid 2010), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on May 21, 2013 11:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 21, 2013 12:09 PM

4TB enterprise drives and none in stripe RAID.

You run ML so you can add a SSD PCIe SATA card to get 6G SATA3 for your system.

You have 2TB of data and growing... why 6TB? 300% for TimeMachine, yes.

RAID6 serious storage and backup for large media that has to be online.

Moving data to online as needed and kept off line on 4TB drives ($400 each still).

WD RED 3TB for RAID and NAS.

I am not a fan of any G-RAID or G-Tech storage devices.

A PCIe SATA controller: a must for you of course.

Your SSD system drive: upgrade to 240GB Samsung 840 Pro. You are too low. You need TRIM Enabler no matter the make SSD. And SSD need at least 20GB free, more so w/o TRIM driver, should be about a month's worth of I/O WRITES.

Scratch: Sonnet Tempo Pro SSD controller with 2x240GB SSDs for 900MB/sec.

I would stop the RAID0 of 2x2TB (use them for another purpose and move the data to a single 3 or 4TB Enterprise drive, 4TB if you can make the leap). WD Black 4TB came out a month ago too.

Never use a stripe RAID for TimeMachine. If you do, then alternate TimeMachine backup sets very regularly.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 21, 2013 12:09 PM in response to Gautam

4TB enterprise drives and none in stripe RAID.

You run ML so you can add a SSD PCIe SATA card to get 6G SATA3 for your system.

You have 2TB of data and growing... why 6TB? 300% for TimeMachine, yes.

RAID6 serious storage and backup for large media that has to be online.

Moving data to online as needed and kept off line on 4TB drives ($400 each still).

WD RED 3TB for RAID and NAS.

I am not a fan of any G-RAID or G-Tech storage devices.

A PCIe SATA controller: a must for you of course.

Your SSD system drive: upgrade to 240GB Samsung 840 Pro. You are too low. You need TRIM Enabler no matter the make SSD. And SSD need at least 20GB free, more so w/o TRIM driver, should be about a month's worth of I/O WRITES.

Scratch: Sonnet Tempo Pro SSD controller with 2x240GB SSDs for 900MB/sec.

I would stop the RAID0 of 2x2TB (use them for another purpose and move the data to a single 3 or 4TB Enterprise drive, 4TB if you can make the leap). WD Black 4TB came out a month ago too.

Never use a stripe RAID for TimeMachine. If you do, then alternate TimeMachine backup sets very regularly.

May 21, 2013 12:30 PM in response to The hatter

WD Black 4TB $300

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Desktop-Hard-Drive-WD4001FAEX/dp/B00A2IM76K/

WD RED NAS 3TB $150

http://www.amazon.com/WD-Red-NAS-Hard-Drive/dp/B008JJLW4M/

For any mirror or stripe array I would invest $130? SoftRAID.com - it monitors drive sector health and weak sectors as well as I/O errors, even recoverable errors.

See what this site recommends for drives, backups

http://www.macperformanceguide.com - seems to be using 4x4TB for his internal media storage for one thing.

Carbon Copy Cloner can archive file revisons and can do a checksum on each file to insure file and data integrity. I think it is under Advanced Option setting.

May 23, 2013 12:25 PM in response to The hatter

Dear "The hatter", Thank you very much for your very valuable comments.

In line with spreading out my future investments, I have been thinking on the following step-wise upgrades:

1. Replace the 120GB OWC Mercury Extreme Pro SSD with the 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD

With regard to the other 4 internal HDD, I have been thinking the following options:

Option 1: Replace the two 2TB HDD in bay 3 and 4 and replace with two 4TB HDD in RAID 1 and run Time Machine on it. I know this will not increase the space, but it will increase redundency.

Option 2: Replace all the 4 HDD with 3TB Red or 4TB Black HDDs and create 2 volumes of 3GB or 4GB each in a RAID 5 configuration.

If I choose option 2, I would have 4x2TB RE4 drives free. What if I put it in a IcyDock 4drive enclosure and create a 6GB volume in a RAID 5 configuration to run TimeMachine connected to the MP through eSATA.

I could not find many options for eSATA6 4 drive external drive options.

Gautam

I already use SoftRAID.

May 23, 2013 5:22 PM in response to Gautam

RAID is not backup. RAID merely extends the time after a drive failure to keep a drive failure from becoming a data disaster. It offers no protection from User Error, crazy software, or "Just because" failures.

You would be better served by having two independent Backups than a RAID used as a Backup. Mount the second external drive weekly and make a Clone of your internal onto it instead.

May 23, 2013 5:36 PM in response to Gautam

RAID5 is not suitable for TB volumes and requires expensive hardware RAID controllers $600 range and I would get RAID6. http://www.macgurus.com

HDD do not need SATA3 6G as each drive is only 135MB/sec at most and you are not using them where you need stripe RAID0 of 4+ drives where 600MB/sec or more is needed (and easier to do fast scratch using SSDs).

RAID5 can't be done with Apple's or SoftRAID.

Everything Grant said and then some.

May 27, 2013 12:26 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Agreed, RAID 1 is not a backup. However, the reason I had set up the 4 internal drives in 2 sets of RAID 0 was for increasing data processing speed and used one set for data and the other as time machine. I realise that having TM in an internal drive volume may not be a good idea, moreover it is also running out of space. My immediate requirement is an external hard drive, probably larger than the 4 GB that a single drive can handle. That is why I am looking for a multi drive enclosure in RAID 6 with eSATA connectivity. I plan to have partitions for cloning my boot drive and that of a couple of other notebooks in the house plus one volume for a multi computer TM. In addition I want to have another 4TB external drive to make a clone of my data disk.

This means, I do not need the two sets of RAID 0 volumes and instead of have a larger single RAID 0 volume across all the 4 internal disks. Presently, I will not need that much space for data, but will give me a big headroom and speed. I note The Hatter's note against striped disks. The other option is to divide the data across the four internal disks- one for photos, one for video, one for other documents and one spare.

I would be glad to get suggestions of multi-drivel enclosures with eSATA. There are not many that I can find in Switzerland. I found the Lacie 4 big Quadra 16TB, effective 8TB in RAID 6.

May 29, 2013 9:40 PM in response to The hatter

I have finally ordered a OWC Mercury Pro Elite QX2 enclosure and will install 4x4 TB HDDs. I plan to use it as a backup drive with multiple volumes to make bootable backups for two Macs and then a large volume for running TM. Data security being my prime concern, of the following 2 available choices which would be the best:

1.RAID 1+0

2.RAID 5 plus 1 spare

Both give the same amount of available space but which one will have better performance and security. QX2 does not have RAID 6 as an option.

May 30, 2013 5:20 AM in response to Gautam

That device may or may not be bootable of course.

Backups that are on arrays are fine but not of themselves.

Depends on the device if it supports what you want.

SoftRAID 4 with a 3 drive mirror would be my first thought, and 4th for clones, IF you are able to comfortably store data on 4TB volumes.

Time Machine: plan for drive volume of about 3x your data need.

May 30, 2013 6:48 AM in response to The hatter

Thanks 'The Hatter'. I checked with the technical support and they told me that the drives cannot be mounted independently, hence creating the RAID by Softraid will not be possible. The Qx2 can be setup as a SPAN (one large volume), RAID 0 (2 or 4 drives), RAID 1 (utilizing just 2 drives), RAID 5 (3 or 4 drives) and RAID 10 (4 drives). However, GUID volumes are bootable.

Recommendation for external hard disk for Mac Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.