Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Annual Macbook Pro heat-sink maintenance - what Apple's manual is missing...

This more or less an FYI post, and hopefully it helps someone out there.

In brief, I own a Macbook Pro (15", Mid-2009) that got its logic board replaced about 2 years ago, fortunately still under warranty back then. From what I remember, a significant incident was that the temps back then (before it failed) reached 100°C (212°F), which even under heavy load was not normal.

Two years later, I again experienced an increase in the overall temperature of my MBP (and would go into sleep mode in Windows 7 bootcamp from time to time). Based on my previous experience it got me worried, esp. since it is out of warranty now.

The forums where not really helpful since most discussions end in lengthy threads about 'that is normal', 'they can handle up to 105°C', 'replace the thermal paste', etc etc. So, I removed the bottom enclosure and the fans where a little dusty, but that's about it.

The real surprise came after I removed the fans (really easy if you have the torx screwdriver).

User uploaded file

As you can see, the plate fins of the heat sink were completely blocked by lint that had accumulated over time. Logically, this reduces air flow and cooling efficiency. After removal of these the temps went back down, to 75-85°C (167-195°F), a nice drop of 20-30°C ! I then checked my wife's Macbook (bought it 3 years ago), and same issue there.

I'm pretty sure this could have also caused the death of my previous logic board and who knows many more. This part of maintenance, unfortunately, is not part of the manual or something the Apple Genius bar would routinely offer, though it might save quite a few laptops. They might have their own perspective of why not...

Hope this helps someone out there.

BTW: Removing the fans is really simple. I just followed these guides:

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing+MacBook+Pro+15-Inch+Unibody+Mid+2009+Left +Fan/1711/1

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing+MacBook+Pro+15-Inch+Unibody+Mid+2009+Righ t+Fan/1710/1

Macbook Pro Mid '09, Mac OS X (10.7.2), Time Capsule 1st gen

Posted on May 21, 2013 2:10 PM

There are no replies.

Annual Macbook Pro heat-sink maintenance - what Apple's manual is missing...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.