Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What Is Small Hole On Back Of 2013 iMac?

I was looking over my new 2013 21.5" iMac, and see a small hole on the lower center back side, just below the AC plug inlet. Having looked at it closer, it just passes through to the air vent below it (I can pass small folded paper strip through the hole and out the vent below it).

User uploaded file

I'm curious to know what this hole is for. Maybe just a necessary manufacturing hole of some sort, and nothing to do with any "function" of the iMac's cooling? Does it also appear on the previous 2008-2012 iMac's too?

I would like only those that actually know what this small hole is there for, or what "purpose" it performs.

Please do not respond with any wild quess .... only respond if you really know (iMac tech, Apple employee, someone in-the-know, etc.).

Thank you.

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on May 21, 2013 2:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 21, 2013 2:53 PM

It's for a desk security lock. See Kensington - Security - Lock Anchor Points - Desk Mount Security ....

11 replies

May 21, 2013 3:44 PM in response to Kappy

In looking over the Kensington site, it looks like they have actually re-designed a new cable lock system to fit the 2013 iMacs .... it's designed to lock at the round hole on the base stand, and not using the small hole on the back of the iMac (as I indicated):

Kensington - iMac® - SafeDome Secure ClickSafe® Keyed Lock for iMac

User uploaded file

New 2013 iMac stands can't be removed from iMac main display unit

(like previous 2008-2012 iMac models could).

The small hole on the back of the new 2013 iMac is no doubt there for those still using the "older kensington style" locking cables and connectors.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

What Is Small Hole On Back Of 2013 iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.