You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does AirPort Express have a firewall?

Does AirPort Express have a built-in firewall? If so, why does my Security & Privacy say the firewall is turned off?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on May 21, 2013 5:20 PM

12 replies

May 21, 2013 5:26 PM in response to carol34

There is a NAT firewall on the AirPort Express, which is enabled if the AirPort Express is configured normally with default settings as a router to provide DHCP and NAT service for the network.

Your Mac has a completely separate firewall setting which can be enabled or disabled. It sounds like the firewall on your Mac is turned off. That's OK if the firewall on the AirPort Express is enabled.

May 21, 2013 5:42 PM in response to carol34

If "it" is the firewall on your AirPort Express.....

Open Macintosh HD > Applications > Utilities > AirPort Utility

Click on the AirPort Express, then click Edit

Click the Network tab at the top of the window

If the setting for Network Mode is DHCP and NAT, the NAT firewall is automatically enabled. No adjustments are needed.

If the setting for Network Mode is Off (Bridge Mode), the firewall on the AirPort Express is disabled.

Your modem also has a firewall, which would be "on" by default unless you have turned it off. So even if the firewall is "off" on your Mac and "off" on the AirPort Express, you still very likely have a firewall protecting you in the modem.

Sep 9, 2013 4:38 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Bob, appreciate your detailed responses in this thread. I just came across it--several months late.

I have an old Airport Express and did get the older Airport Utility extracted. However, all I'm seeing when I went to the manual set up process were four tabs!

Summary, Base Station, Wireless, Access

No Network one. Any ideas?

-----------------------------

A bit later... for anyone else stumbling across this... certain versions of Airport Utility are arranged differently. The tabs are as I mentioned, but above the tabs is a series of icons: Airport, Internet, Music, Printers, Advanced.

If you click on Internet, you'll see the Connection Sharing pull down menu. That's where, as Bob points out, you may see the Off (Bridge Mode).

However, the other choices in the menu do not involve DHCP and NAT, but share or distribute Internet addresses...

Above that it says, Connect: Using Ethernet (the other choice is PPoE).

In my case, however, my Airport Express is, in fact, being used in a bridge mode--connected via Ethernet to a Linksys router (which is attached to the cable modem). So, it needs to stay that way (AFAIK, and as far as I remember from the hours of figuring out how to set it up).

Is that right?

So, I'd need to check my router for the hardware firewall, right? Off to Linksys config pages, although the last time I explored that, I bricked the router! 🙂

Does AirPort Express have a firewall?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.