Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I disable automatic startup of Viber on booting up?

Hey, I let Viber set itself to start automatically on startup. The problem is that I cannot undo that. I can't find a list or utility in my Mac Book Pro or in Viber to stop automatic startup of Viber. Help!

I wasn't able to complete the registration with Viber because I'm in US temporarily at the moment and my cellphone is disabled. Will it be easier to disable automatic startup of Viber when I get home (to Ireland). I can't even use Viber - it's not displaying the sidebar so I can't put on a contact. Help!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1), not quite sure of Mountain Lion ed

Posted on May 21, 2013 9:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2013 9:19 AM

Please follow these steps to disable viber auto startup.

1. remove any related files in following dir

/Library/StartupItems

/Library/LaunchAgents

/Library/LaunchDaemons

~/Library/LaunchAgents

~/Library/LaunchDaemons

2. remove viber from "system preferences" --> "Users & Groups" --> "Login Items"

3. Open "Terminal" from "Applications" --> "Utilities" --> "Terminal" type following commands

$ launchctl list | grep -i viber

You will see there is an item "com.viber.OSX" there

$ launchctl remove com.viber.OSX

This item will be removed

$ sudo -i (enter your own password to become a root)

# launchctl remove com.viber.OSX (to remove it again)

# launchctl list | grep -i viber (double comfirm there is no viber anymore)

4. Open viber from "Applications" --> "Viber"

5. "Viber" --> "Preferences" --> "Basics" --> disable the "Start viber on system startup" --> "OK"

6. end

these process has been tested and work on 10.8.4

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 6, 2013 9:19 AM in response to meabhar

Please follow these steps to disable viber auto startup.

1. remove any related files in following dir

/Library/StartupItems

/Library/LaunchAgents

/Library/LaunchDaemons

~/Library/LaunchAgents

~/Library/LaunchDaemons

2. remove viber from "system preferences" --> "Users & Groups" --> "Login Items"

3. Open "Terminal" from "Applications" --> "Utilities" --> "Terminal" type following commands

$ launchctl list | grep -i viber

You will see there is an item "com.viber.OSX" there

$ launchctl remove com.viber.OSX

This item will be removed

$ sudo -i (enter your own password to become a root)

# launchctl remove com.viber.OSX (to remove it again)

# launchctl list | grep -i viber (double comfirm there is no viber anymore)

4. Open viber from "Applications" --> "Viber"

5. "Viber" --> "Preferences" --> "Basics" --> disable the "Start viber on system startup" --> "OK"

6. end

these process has been tested and work on 10.8.4

May 21, 2013 9:58 PM in response to meabhar

In that case, open a Finder window, select Go menu (on the menu bar) > Go to Folder, and type /Library/StartupItems. Search for Viber files and delete them. This folder contains the files of all applications that start up automatically when you start up the computer, so you have a bigger control than from "Users & Groups" pane

May 21, 2013 10:43 PM in response to meabhar

Uninstall Viber. To do it, open Applications folder and drag Viber to Trash.

Then, open Finder, select Go menu (on the menu bar) > Go to Folder, and go to these directories:

~/Library/Caches

~/Library/Preferences

~/Library/Application Support

Delete everything related to Viber in these directories and restart. Then, install Viber again and check that it doesn't start up automatically every time you start the computer

May 21, 2013 11:25 PM in response to mende1

Eee, I did all that, and even restared the computer, but when I downloaded the Viber programme and copied it to the applications area (inside Finder), I could no longer find viber either in downloads or in Launchpad. I even restarted againm, to no avail. So it seems to be invisible after reloading the programme.

May 21, 2013 11:32 PM in response to meabhar

Oh, Viber appears to be in Apps now, with a dml ending, so I double clicked, and it allowed me to transfer to Apps by that in-window drag. Now Viber's installed again. I'll try and work it in a few days when I can use my phone, though I suspect I'll have trouble as it's an employer phone and you can't install much on it.

May 22, 2013 7:25 AM in response to meabhar

Well, this morning Viber is still appearing in my face on startup. I thus did everything you suggested before in terms of deleting - the only folder where I found a file to delete was in System Preferences, I also deleted Viber itself in Applicaions. This Viber is persistent. Maybe it'll behave better when i get to put it on my cellphone, or I'll have to get a non-corporate one. But for now it's just popping up without functionality. Thanks a million for your help, Mende, but it seems I had no option but to uninstall it. Perhaps there's a file somewhere I didn't manage to delete, but i went through those folders carefully again and I saw not title - some may be abbreviated - that had viber in it, apart from the one in ~/Library/Application Support.

Jun 15, 2013 7:53 AM in response to meabhar

I am also having this problem and have been through all the steps advised to find the same problems. Viber is hidden away at every turn. I did find that within the application itself you can go to Viber>Preferences and there is an option to "Start Viber on system startup" Which seemed like the obvious fix at last. But appaerntly unchecking this doesn't solve the problem either?! So I am lost for ideas. Can anyone help?

How do I disable automatic startup of Viber on booting up?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.