Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

create equal columns in Pages

Hello all,

Well once again I find myself turning to the greatest forum on the internet. HELP.....

I am trying to create columns in Pages, but when I do, they are not equal (refer to image). Whatever I do just does not work, how do I get them to be the same?

Thanks in advance.

Daniel

http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/2774/columnst.png

************ UPDATE *************

I found out that when the uneven column on the right was created, all I had to do was create a dummy bullet line above and then delete it. This allowed the formating of a new line to remain in place and therefore create even columns. It seems a bit silly that an additional step like this is required, maybe I did something wrong setting it up, if anyone has a solution to my original problem, please let me know.

Cheers

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on May 21, 2013 9:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 21, 2013 9:54 PM

To me it looks like they have the same width.

If the problem is that the text is starting on different lines it would have helped if you had shown the invisible characters and also shown the layout

5 replies

May 21, 2013 10:08 PM in response to daniel.remin

Hi Daniel,

Page 50 of the Number'09 User Guide explains how to define columns. Download the Guide from the Help Menu in Pages. Inspector > Layout Tab > Layout Button shows details of the columns.

To see the column margins, View > Show Layout:

User uploaded file

The blue upside-down triangles on the ruler show left and right margins for Column 1 (the active column where the cursor is). If you thought they were the left margins of both columns, I can see why the columns appeared unequal.

When setting columns, the default is that they are equal. Hope this helps.

Regards,

Ian.

May 21, 2013 10:30 PM in response to Yellowbox

Hi Ian,

Thank you for your reply. I noticed that the settings are all default and have not been changed in any way shape or form. I just created two tables with two columns and deleted one. I then created a layout break before and after the two single column tables. I then changed the centre section where the two tables are to 2 columns and no settings were changed. I created equal distributed and aligned columns.

Then proceeding to do exactly the same proceedure with bullets x 10. It created the same unequal and unaligned result

Weird. I am just going to have to put up with this little annoying bug type thing. It is not a massive thing that causes problems, I am just pedantic at trying to get it right the first time. Thanks Ian for your help champ.

Cheers

May 22, 2013 3:00 AM in response to daniel.remin

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the feedback and greenie. I don't know what is going on with bullets causing unequal column widths. Please post a screen shot of that part of your document with View > Show Invisibles. That may help Pages Gurus see if it really is a bug, or if there is a simple answer.

After reading your reply (where you called me a champ) I tried your idea of two tables within Layout Breaks. A humble confession: this is the first time I have used Layout Breaks (Gasp!).

Thank you for teaching me something new.

Regards,

Ian.

create equal columns in Pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.