Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Bootcamp cause lossage in hard drive space

I was trying to install windows on my mac using bootcamp, but because the process took way too long, i deceided to stop the process. My hard drive is approximately 700-800 GB and the space I actually use is about 200-250 GB but it is saying i use up to 400 GB or hard drive. I used to Disk Inventry X to try to find where this extra 200GB are coming from and it says about 200GB is from "other files and folder". I am suspecting that the windows partition was created and hidden, because I can not find it in disk Utility either... If it helps i am using boot camp version 10.0.5 i think and was installing windows 7. I also have a 2012-2013 Macbook 13'. PLEASE HELP!!!!

MacBook Pro

Posted on May 21, 2013 11:51 PM

1 reply

May 24, 2013 8:04 AM in response to AsianCraft

Hi AsianCraft,

You should be able to recover that disk space by deleting the Windows partition from within the Boot Camp Assistant. This should restore your disk to a single partition drive. There is more information about removing Boot Camp on Page 10 of the manual:

Boot Camp - Installation & Setup Guide (Mountain Lion)

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/boot_camp_install-setup_10.8.pdf

Remove Windows from your Mac

How you remove Windows from your Mac depends on whether you installed Windows on a second partition or on a single-volume disk.

If you installed Windows on a second disk partition: Using Boot Camp Assistant as described below, remove Windows by deleting the Windows partition and restoring the disk to a single-partition OS X volume.

If your Mac has multiple disks and you installed Windows on a disk that has only one partition:

Start up in OS X and use Disk Utility, located in the Other folder in Launchpad, to reformat it as an OS X volume.

1 Start up your Mac in OS X.

2 Quit all open apps and log out any other users on your Mac.

3 Open Boot Camp Assistant.

4 Select “Remove Windows 7,” then click Continue.

5 Do one of the following:

• If your Mac has a single internal disk, click Restore.

• If your Mac has multiple internal disks, select the Windows disk, select “Restore to a single

Mac OS partition,” then click Continue.

Cheers,

- Brenden

Mac Bootcamp cause lossage in hard drive space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.