Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Replacing the HDD with SSD and reinstalling Mountain Lion

Hello,

I have a MacBook (Mid 2010) since August 2010. Since then, I have been using Time Machine and every time Apple releases a new OS, I download it from the Mac App Store and put it on a USB so that I can boot from it, whether to reinstall the OS or in case I faced Hard Drive problems.

My HDD is dying slowly, so I planning to get an SSD. The version of Mountain Lion that I have on the USB is 10.8.

The question is, do I have to download a newer version of Mountain Lion (say 10.8.3) from the Mac App Store knowing that I will be restoring from Time Machine?

Thank you..

MacBook, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), (Mid 2010), 8GB RAM

Posted on May 22, 2013 1:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 22, 2013 7:33 AM

AMDeeb wrote:

Hello,

...every time Apple releases a new OS, I download it from the Mac App Store and put it on a USB so that I can boot from it, whether to reinstall the OS or in case I faced Hard Drive problems...

...The question is, do I have to download a newer version of Mountain Lion (say 10.8.3) from the Mac App Store knowing that I will be restoring from Time Machine?

Maintaining a USB flash (?) drive to boot from is an excellent idea. You can download a new ML installer, which will be the latest version of ML, and create a new flash boot drive, boot from the current flash drive and update that to 10.8.3, or install the SSD and booting from the flash drive install ML on it, and if it isn't 10.8.3, update it once you restart and boot from the SSD. Then use Migration Assistant to restore from TM.

67 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 22, 2013 7:33 AM in response to AMDeeb

AMDeeb wrote:

Hello,

...every time Apple releases a new OS, I download it from the Mac App Store and put it on a USB so that I can boot from it, whether to reinstall the OS or in case I faced Hard Drive problems...

...The question is, do I have to download a newer version of Mountain Lion (say 10.8.3) from the Mac App Store knowing that I will be restoring from Time Machine?

Maintaining a USB flash (?) drive to boot from is an excellent idea. You can download a new ML installer, which will be the latest version of ML, and create a new flash boot drive, boot from the current flash drive and update that to 10.8.3, or install the SSD and booting from the flash drive install ML on it, and if it isn't 10.8.3, update it once you restart and boot from the SSD. Then use Migration Assistant to restore from TM.

May 22, 2013 7:45 AM in response to FatMac-MacPro

Hello FatMac\> MacPro,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes it is a USB Flash Drive that has the Mountain Lion installer. So I understand that I can't use Time Machine to restore from 10.8.3 using a 10.8 installer?

The reason I still have 10.8 on my USB is that my internet connection is too slow. Downloading a 4.4 GB file is not an easy task, although I download the Combo updates and iOS firmwares.

I'll try to download 10.8.3 again, or I'll have to install 10.8 then update to 10.8.3 using the Combo file, then restore using Migration Assistant, but will I have to update anything else after restoring? and will I lose any info?

Thanks.

May 22, 2013 8:30 AM in response to AMDeeb

Since you want to restore what's on TM to the SSD, the SSD needs to be booted from to receive the restored files and to do that, the SSD has to have an OS on it. And since you'd want to have the SSD's OS updated to the latest ML version eventually, you might as well do that first, since, to some degree, it's also a test of the SSD's functioning. Since you already have the Combo updater, you could just run that, and since it's only a bit over 800 MB, it might even fit on the flash drive. I don't believe that migrating from a TM file made by and containing 10.8.3 data would be problematic when initiated from a 10.8.0 installation (which is I think what you're asking), but there may be some subtle software changes we don't know about that could come back and bite. So starting the migration after updating to 10.8.3 would be the safest bet. At the same time, Setup Assistant brings your existing account stuff over to just reestablish your existence on the SSD, while Migration Assistant is run after a new account has been set up on first boot, so I'd think Setup Assistant is the better way to go.

In which case, how about this: when you run the Combo updater, you are given a choice of which drive you want to install it on. If I remember the sequence correctly (it's been a while since a fresh install), you run the installer, which transfers files to the target disk, and then reboot. The installation takes place on the target disk which then reboots again to begin the setup process. When the startup chime sounds the second time, use the option key to run Startup Manager and pick your flash drive to boot from again. If you already have the Combo updater on the flash drive, run it from there and pick the SSD as the target. When it's finished, if it doesn't start from the SSD, choose that as the Startup Disk (check to see that it says 10.8.3 in Preferences) and when it boots, start the Setup Assistant process using TM.

Or is the flash drive only an installer, meaning it doesn't actually have ML installed on it so you can't use it like an actual boot disk from which you can do normal boot disk things?

May 22, 2013 8:50 AM in response to FatMac-MacPro

FatMac\>MacPro wrote:

I don't believe that migrating from a TM file made by and containing 10.8.3 data would be problematic when initiated from a 10.8.0 installation (which is I think what you're asking), but there may be some subtle software changes we don't know about that could come back and bite.

I asked so before because I remember restoring from the Snow Leopard 10.6.3 that came with my Mac after updating to 10.6.4 or 1.6.5.

Anyway, I'll try to download 10.8.3 again just to be safe.

Or is the flash drive only an installer, meaning it doesn't actually have ML installed on it so you can't use it like an actual boot disk from which you can do normal boot disk things?

Yes the Flash Drive is ONLY an installer, it is like the built-in Recovery partition with 10.8.0 offline installer.

May 22, 2013 8:59 AM in response to AMDeeb

AMDeeb wrote:

...Yes the Flash Drive is ONLY an installer, it is like the built-in Recovery partition with 10.8.0 offline installer.

I was afraid of that. If you can find a larger flash drive (prices have been dropping quite a bit), for the future you could install ML on it to boot from. The advantage is that you can have additional tools on it that aren't available from an installer/Recovery partition, such as DiskWarrior, which can't be run from the disk that needs fixing.

May 22, 2013 9:10 AM in response to FatMac-MacPro

But why would I need to install 10.8.3 on a USB drive knowing that i would be installing it on the SSD anyway? If it is to format the SSD or make other changes, I can do that from the USB or by putting the SSD in an external enclosure.

What I will do is:

1. Download 10.8.3 from the Mac App Store
  2. Put 10.8.3 as an installer on the USB (replacing 10.8.0)
  3. Boot from the USB to install 10.8.3 on the SSD
  4. Run Time Machine

I'll update this thread after I finish.

Thank you.

May 24, 2013 9:28 PM in response to AMDeeb

A slightly different idea:

When I replaced my internal drive in my MBP with an SSD, I purchased a kit from OWC (macsales.com) which also included an external enclosure. I installed the new SSD in the external disclosure and connected it to the MBP. After formatting the new drive, I cloned my entire internal HD to the new SSD using CarbonCopyCloner. After that, I removed the internal HD, installed the new SSD in its place, and booted - done. I also installed the old internal drive into the new external enclosure and now have an instantaneous bootable backup.

May 26, 2013 1:43 AM in response to babowa

babowa wrote:

A slightly different idea:

When I replaced my internal drive in my MBP with an SSD, I purchased a kit from OWC (macsales.com) which also included an external enclosure. I installed the new SSD in the external disclosure and connected it to the MBP. After formatting the new drive, I cloned my entire internal HD to the new SSD using CarbonCopyCloner. After that, I removed the internal HD, installed the new SSD in its place, and booted - done. I also installed the old internal drive into the new external enclosure and now have an instantaneous bootable backup.

I will be getting Kingston HyperX 3K 480GB (Bundle Kit), so it comes with an external USB enclosure as well as software to clone my drive. However, since I will be moving from HDD to SSD, I think it is better to install fresh copies of OSX (then restore using Time Machine) and BootCamp, right?

May 26, 2013 8:32 AM in response to AMDeeb

since I will be moving from HDD to SSD, I think it is better to install fresh copies of OSX (then restore using Time Machine) and BootCamp, right?

I don't see why it should make a difference - I cloned from a 5400 rpm drive to an SSD and it worked like a charm.

Kingston HyperX 3K 480GB (Bundle Kit), so it comes with an external USB enclosure as well as software to clone my drive

According to their data spec sheet, the software supports Windows.

User uploaded file

Personally, I would not purchase anything Kingston; I've had problems with two of their products and there are posts here detailing problems with their RAM. Having said that, if you can't or don't want to cancel the order, you will need cloning software: either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper (note that SuperDuper cannot clone the recovery partition whereas CCC will create/update it).

I purchased my kit from OWC:

http://macsales.com/

They guarantee their products to work with Macs and have very good customer service.

May 29, 2013 10:30 AM in response to babowa

babowa wrote:

Personally, I would not purchase anything Kingston; I've had problems with two of their products and there are posts here detailing problems with their RAM. Having said that, if you can't or don't want to cancel the order, you will need cloning software: either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper (note that SuperDuper cannot clone the recovery partition whereas CCC will create/update it).

I purchased my kit from OWC:

http://macsales.com/

They guarantee their products to work with Macs and have very good customer service.

Thank you for your suggestion. As I live in Lebanon, I wont be able to order from OWC easy, i would have to spend a lot for shipping costs and customs.

What do you think about SanDisk and Crucial? I'm considering SanDisk Extreme 480GB, Crucial m4 512GB, or Crucial m500 512GB..

From online reviews, i see that Samsung 840 Pro is the best, but it is a lot more expensive and I don't have the latest hardware, hence I wont get its maximum performance.

Thanks..

May 29, 2013 12:44 PM in response to AMDeeb

From other posts here, I'd go with Crucial; personally I like Sandisk, but do not know anything about their SSDs, so I can't offer a qualified opinion.

Regardless of which drive you choose, the easiest way is to put the new drive into an external enclosure, clone your hard drive to it, uninstall the hard drive, and install the newly cloned SSD. Very easy and seamless. Remember to format the new drive first (that will also erase any unnecessary software included/installed on it) and then clone your system to it.

May 29, 2013 1:51 PM in response to babowa

babowa wrote:

Regardless of which drive you choose, the easiest way is to put the new drive into an external enclosure, clone your hard drive to it, uninstall the hard drive, and install the newly cloned SSD. Very easy and seamless. Remember to format the new drive first (that will also erase any unnecessary software included/installed on it) and then clone your system to it.

Thank you. Does CarbonCopyCloner clone the entire drive, including BootCamp partition? (provided that I have enough space of course)

Replacing the HDD with SSD and reinstalling Mountain Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.