Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture - Reveal Original in finder (contextual menu)

Hi

Not so long ago there was a function "Reveal Original in Finder" or " Show Original in Finder" in the contextual menu, but it seems this has disappeared. How can I get it back? Or is there another way to get to the Original?

(I know I can export the Original, but I found this function useful.)

Thanks.

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on May 22, 2013 4:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 22, 2013 4:36 AM

It is still there in the contextual menu - Aperture 3.4.4.

It definitely works, if your image is referenced (It does not work for managed images), or are your images managed?

User uploaded file

Léonie

8 replies

May 22, 2013 5:35 AM in response to coxorange

As long as I can remember (I started using Aperture with 3.1.3) the option "Show in Finder" only was available for referenced files - in the File menu and in the contextual menu,but I may be wrong.

From the Online Manual:

Locating a Referenced Image’s Master on a Hard Disk

At times, you may need to quickly find a referenced image’s master on your hard disk to copy or move it, attach it to an email, or otherwise work with it outside of Aperture. You can select an image in the Browser and Aperture will display the location of the image’s master in the Finder.

This is different in iPhoto. In iPhoto you can use "File > Reveal in Finder" also for managed files.

If you have iPhoto '11, use iPhoto to reveal your managed originals.

May 24, 2013 1:20 AM in response to coxorange

But I never used iPhoto and don't know which additional preview/library/... files iPhoto would create (would take space) just for revealing some files in Finder from time to time.

You could experiment with a small test Aperture library. iPhoto and Aperture are sharing the same unified library format.

I made the following test:

• Disabled the creation of previews in Aperture.
  • Created a new library and added three pictures.
  • Inspected the package contents. The Previews folder stayed empty.
  • Used "File > Open library in iPhoto".
  • Revealed an original in ithe Finder, no Previews have been generated. The size of the library remained the same.
  • Used "File > Open library in Aperture" to switch back.

Only when I use iPhoto to edit a version it will create additional previews, even the previews are disabled in Aperture. But you can always delete them again in Aperture.

Mar 30, 2014 5:21 PM in response to coxorange

WARNING: THIS IS DANGEROUS RISKY STUFF AND SHOULD ONLY BE DONE IF THERE IS NO OTHER WAY TO ACCOMPLISH WHAT YOU NEED TO DO. PROCEED WITH CAUTION AND AT YOUR OWN RISK. AND DON"T MESS UP YOUR APERTURE DATABASE. I sort of understand why Apple makes this hard but why have "Reveal in Finder" built in to iPhoto and not Aperture (unless referenced)?

After hours of frustration and not having the latest version of iPhoto, I discovered that with my Aperture 3.5.1, I can right click on the image and use the "edit with" drop down, such as with Photoshop. Then from photoshop I can "command-click" on the top banner of the image and get the file path to where the original is located. I then created an alias of the folder where my original was and dragged it to my desktop for easy access.

This works because Aperture creates a second original located in the same Folder on our hard drives as the 1st original. To delete this second file that we used as a beacon to find our original, go to the same Project in Aperture and select this file that will have a badge on it and then in the File menu select "Delete Original Image and All Versions." The file will now be in our "Aperture Trash", which then needs to be emptied in order to send it to our Mac Trash. Empty our Mac's trash to finish the job.

Mar 30, 2014 11:19 PM in response to coxorange

Not so long ago there was a function "Reveal Original in Finder" or " Show Original in Finder" in the contextual menu, but it seems this has disappeared. How can I get it back? Or is there another way to get to the Original?

"Show in Finder" is still available in the "File"menu. Only, it is restricted to referenced files. If you need to access a managed original in the Finder to check it, use "File > Relocate" to move it temporarily out of Aperture, then "Show in Finder" should be available. Only, don't forget to use "File > Consolidate" to move it back into the library. Or just export a copy of the original with "File > Export".

Aperture - Reveal Original in finder (contextual menu)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.