Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

BootCamp couldn't create Partition after Upgrade to ML 4TB HDD

Hi there,

on my iMac 2007 Aluminium I upgraded to Mountain Lion from Snow Leopard. - OK

I had a Boot Camp Partition with Windows 7 on it - OK

Made a complete Backup with TimeMachine on a external 2TB USB Drive. - OK

I saved some Windows Files too.

Then upgraded my iMac 2007 fromm a 500GB WD to a 4TB HDD Seagate. - OK

Installed Mountain Lion as a clean Installation - OK

Through the Recovery Partition I recovered my System with TimeMachine from External Drive, ok all DATA restored succesfully.

Checked in HDD Manager the User rights and let it repair. - OK

Now I have 1 big 4TB Partition called the "Macintosh HD" + Recovery Partition at the beginning of the HDD.

Calling BootCamp 5.0.2 says (translated from German):

"The Starting Volume could not be partitioned or recovered in a single Partition. For Installation of Windows the Startvolume has to be MAC OS-Extended (journaled) formatted single Volume or it has to be partitioned by Bott-Camp already."

Well the Partition is definitely MAC OS-Extended (journaled) fromatted, and it's a single Partition, except the Recovery Partition of ML.

Maybe BootCamp runs into Problems with a 4TB HDD ?

Or the TM-Recovery has brought back some Information about the previous BootCamp Windows 7 Partition on the old HDD ?

Any Sugestions would be welcome !

Thanks

iMac 24" late 2007, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on May 22, 2013 3:43 AM

4 replies

Sep 14, 2013 6:15 AM in response to joabra

10.8.4 Disk Utility is what runs into problems now with a new bug to fix Boot Camp working with drives larger than 2.2TB but now not formatting 3 and 4TB drives in 10.8.4. 10.8.3 should work with that part. one of the reasons to make backup clones and keep older version, like 8.3, around. Or 10.6.8 or Lion even.

The tip should work but that is from 7 months ago, not from 10.8.4.

Oct 20, 2015 5:06 PM in response to The hatter

I'm sure that you have found a solution for your problem, but for those who are still looking, I will explain what helped me to sort the same problem after replacing HDD to a new 4Tb hard drive.

Bootcamp doesn't support HDD with 4Tb, so the partition with Windows should be after OS X partition and after recovery partition. In details explained here on a link below (TWOCANOES)

You will need:

VMware Fusion

VMDK Mounter

Winclone

Steps how to install Windows on 4Tb hard drive:

1. Install fresh El Captain (or any other OS X), save Bootcamp drivers for Windows on USB via Boot Camp Assistant

2. Partition disk by Disk Utility as per instructions on this link: https://www.twocanoes.com/support/winclone/installing-windows-via-boot-camp-on-a -large-(2.2-tb-or-larger)-drive-in-lion-…

3. Install VMware Fusion on your OS X

4. Install Windows in VMWare Fusion (you probably can you other software like Virtual Box or Parallels)

5. Generalize and Sysprep Windows as per this instruction on Step 1 - 3: http://huguesval.com/blog/2012/02/installing-windows-7-on-a-mac-without-superdri ve-with-virtualbox/(only one note I wanted to make is that if you are getting the error while sysprepping, you need to stop Windows Media services again, this helped me)

6. Mount VMDK (created by VMWare Fusion) in a software VMDK Mounter for Mac https://www.paragon-software.com/home/vd-mounter-mac-free/

7. Install Winclone http://twocanoes.com/products/mac/winclone

8. Choose Source - mounted VMDK, Destination - Windows partition (Bootcamp)

9. Reboot pressing ALT key and choose Windows

10. Continue with installing Windows

11. Install drivers for Bootcamp created on Step 1.

12. Enjoy versatility

BootCamp couldn't create Partition after Upgrade to ML 4TB HDD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.