Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error message: 'Codec not found..'

Hi all. This is a new error I've never seen before.

It's stopping me doing anything at all really.

As soon as I start up FCP and click on a sequence I get this message: 'Codec not found. You may be using a compression type without the corresponding hardware card.'

Then I click on OK and it says 'Error - Out of memory.'

I've heard rumours that it could be the fact I'm using a strange type of JPEG, but it still happens with PNGs.

I've made sure my scratch disks are all going to the right place. I also have 100gb of free space.

The version of FCP I'm using is 6.0.5. I'm using an iMac with OSX 10.4.11 (yes, I know it's old!) and I've downloaded the latest version of Quicktime.

Help, anyone? I have an assignment due in tomorrow.

Many thanks...

Final Cut Pro 6, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on May 22, 2013 9:39 AM

13 replies

May 22, 2013 10:09 AM in response to Studio X

Thanks Studio X.

Unfortunately the error message pops up immediately when I open FCP now, even if I dont have a project open..

Oh dear.

Does anyone know why this error would pop up as soon as I open the program?

Something tells me I haven't got the right codec.

Anyone know where I can download a fresh set of codecs for FCP6? Or maybe this isn't actually the issue...

;(

Dec 10, 2013 8:27 PM in response to pierre_eau

I have been following this and similar discussions for awhile now, and still have not solved my problem, which is similar, but I never see the word "codec". Just "Not Found" or "General Error". **** Generals, always messing things up..😝. And no funky images or video coming in, everything off disk, same res as sequence, no compression. FCP 6.0.6, OSX 10.8.5 grinding on my trusty Dual Intel MacBook Pro. Did Onyx cache clear, keep building new sequenses in new projects, still happens. Show stopper 😠

Maybe after a good night's sleep everything will be fine. 😕

Will check in wth you guys for more ideas in the morning NYC time.

peace out

Dec 11, 2013 7:22 AM in response to profbg

What formats are your sources and sequence? Have you tried resetting your fcp preferences?

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-2491

And here are some other troubleshooting steps

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-2591

We're here to help, but unless we approach this in a systematic manner, obvious things can slip thru the cracks. So go thru these things and just let us know if there's anything amiss.

I'm in NYC also, so if you are up against the wall, and feel like bringing your trusty macbook pro by my cutting room, I could probably take a quick look at it and see if there's anything obvious.

Dec 11, 2013 10:38 AM in response to Michael Grenadier

Thanks Michael I may take you up on that. I have done everything suggested here, including trashing prefs, caches, etc. source material is 1080p video and some tifs of same size. Where is your studio? I feel like I must be missing some really obvious thing. I am more of an after effects compositor than an editor, so some of the fcp workflow and behavior mystifies me. I am in NJ waiting for my daughter to finish her finals at school so won't be back until like 6 or 7. But will be checking email on and off this afternoon

Error message: 'Codec not found..'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.