Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Some metadata no longer displaying in public site

I manually upload my new videos to the collections in my iTunes U site rather than using a feed. On the last two video files I uploaded (yesterday), once published, they are not showing time, description, or image once in my storefront.

I haven't changed anything about how I enter the metadata before uploading, so I'm not sure what's going on.

On the front page of my store, I've got both files in a featured spot, but the images aren't showing, it's choosing the default collection image instead.

On the collection list view on my store, they are downloadable, but show no description or time (see screengrab attached). But when I download the same file and check it from my personal iTunes library, the file has all that metadata in there. So it's not that the file doesn't have it, it's just not displaying.

Not a huge deal, ultimately, but I'm wondering if something changed with how we're supposed to enter the metadata? Anyone else seeing this?

Thanks,

Amy

------

Amy Erin Borovoy | Senior Manager of Video Programming, Production, & Curation

Edutopia | The George Lucas Educational Foundation
amy.borovoy@edutopia.org | e dutopia.org
p: 415.662.1735 | twitter.com/VideoAmy
facebook.com/edutopia | twitter.com/edutopia | youtube.com/edutopia

WHAT WORKS IN EDUCATION

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on May 22, 2013 10:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 22, 2013 10:34 AM

Hi,

I had the same issue as yours. Then I wrote to Apple iTunes U Store Customer Support, which in the past helped solve some my problems. This time, however, their reply did not help. (I am attaching the major portion of the email from Apple at the end of my reply.)

But, that problem solved itself after a week or so. I, as PSM admi, did not change anything. Nor did the the faculty member (the collection developer). The metadata (video length in this case) filled up automatically after sometime. The video length now displays which did not over a week ago.

So I suspect the problem results from Apple's server where the content is hosted (ours is hosted by Apple) or from iTunes U.

The faculty members have experienced the following: It takes much longer time for the newly uploaded items, or changed item order, etc. to display to the public. In the past, it happened almost instantly. Now in our case, it takes 24 hours or longer to happen.

Hope this information helps.

qqwang from HACC, PA

The following is the major portion of the email from Apple Store Customer Support except some personal info. Once again, it did not help solve the problem.

"I understand that the videos uploaded does not show it's duration. Let me help you with this.

When adding materials to courses in iTunes U Course Manager, make sure the items are supported by Course Manager. Supported materials include:

- Audio (.mp3, .m4a)

- Video (.mp4, .m4v, .mov)

- Books (ePub, iBooks)

- Documents (.key, .pages, .numbers, .pdf, .rtf, .doc, .ppt, .xls, .txt, .docx, .xlsx, .pptx)

- iOS Apps

- Images (.png, .jpg, .jpeg)

- Web Links (http:// and https://)

If you're using an item for more than one course, you'll only need to add it to My Materials once.

When adding an item as an iTunes Store link, be sure it's one of the following supported link types:

- iTunes U item

- Podcast episode

- Song

- Movie

- TV episode

- Music video

- Audiobook

- eBook

- iOS app

For more information about iTunes U and Course Manager, visit iTunes U Support:

https://itunesu.itunes.apple.com/help/

I trust that the information that I have provided helps. If there is anything else that I can help you with. Please let me know. Have a wonderful day!"

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 22, 2013 10:34 AM in response to VideoAmy

Hi,

I had the same issue as yours. Then I wrote to Apple iTunes U Store Customer Support, which in the past helped solve some my problems. This time, however, their reply did not help. (I am attaching the major portion of the email from Apple at the end of my reply.)

But, that problem solved itself after a week or so. I, as PSM admi, did not change anything. Nor did the the faculty member (the collection developer). The metadata (video length in this case) filled up automatically after sometime. The video length now displays which did not over a week ago.

So I suspect the problem results from Apple's server where the content is hosted (ours is hosted by Apple) or from iTunes U.

The faculty members have experienced the following: It takes much longer time for the newly uploaded items, or changed item order, etc. to display to the public. In the past, it happened almost instantly. Now in our case, it takes 24 hours or longer to happen.

Hope this information helps.

qqwang from HACC, PA

The following is the major portion of the email from Apple Store Customer Support except some personal info. Once again, it did not help solve the problem.

"I understand that the videos uploaded does not show it's duration. Let me help you with this.

When adding materials to courses in iTunes U Course Manager, make sure the items are supported by Course Manager. Supported materials include:

- Audio (.mp3, .m4a)

- Video (.mp4, .m4v, .mov)

- Books (ePub, iBooks)

- Documents (.key, .pages, .numbers, .pdf, .rtf, .doc, .ppt, .xls, .txt, .docx, .xlsx, .pptx)

- iOS Apps

- Images (.png, .jpg, .jpeg)

- Web Links (http:// and https://)

If you're using an item for more than one course, you'll only need to add it to My Materials once.

When adding an item as an iTunes Store link, be sure it's one of the following supported link types:

- iTunes U item

- Podcast episode

- Song

- Movie

- TV episode

- Music video

- Audiobook

- eBook

- iOS app

For more information about iTunes U and Course Manager, visit iTunes U Support:

https://itunesu.itunes.apple.com/help/

I trust that the information that I have provided helps. If there is anything else that I can help you with. Please let me know. Have a wonderful day!"

May 22, 2013 10:55 AM in response to VideoAmy

You are welcome, VideoAmy. Exactly, that is what i have told the faculty: do not expect any changes to take place immediately. Allow at least 24 hours or longer for new uploads, new information, order change to happen. Knowing that in advance helps them to plan and prepare. They then know it is not something they did not do right when expected changes are happening.

Some metadata no longer displaying in public site

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.