Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

resolving aliases window comes up

Hi,

I have had a fair number of aliases (20) on my desktop forever. They go to folders mostly, some apps and a few volumes that are not connected. About a month ago, I started to get a Finder window pop up saying the system was resolving that alias when I double click on them. I threw out a Finder pref file (I forget which one) that was recomended on some forum (I forget which one), that didn't help. Went to the Apple Store yesterday for this a few other issues. The "genius" didn't know what to make of it and wasn't even familiar with aliases in the first place. (Called them icons with arrows. Her superior and her called them "shortcuts" too which amused me...) Anyway, she recommended I reinstall the system software. I can do that but thought I'd ask here first. I saw another thread with this problem back in 2011 (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3407056) but it wasn't resolved, no pun intended.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? Creating new aliases will only have the problem return after the file/folder/app has been opened a few times. Logging out made no difference. (I didn't set up a bunch of aliases in one of those other accounts to test them but will if needed.)

FWIW, my desktop folder is 2.29 gb. I have 8 gb ram, 184 gb free on a 500 gb hd.

Thanks.

John L

PS Peripherally related to this thread: I've had an alias to my home folder on my desktop forever. Now I can't create a new one, make an alias is greyed out on the File menu. Remind me how I can do this. Thanks.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 15" Quad core, 2.0/500/8

Posted on May 22, 2013 12:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 22, 2013 2:06 PM

Hi,

For your main problem I would start figuring out if this problem is system wide or just in your user account.

You can make a temporary account to test with.

If it's only in your account, something must be corrupt there. But I wouldn't know what to look for. Maybe a higher level forum member can tune in here. If it's system wide I'd personally do a reinstall, which is likely less work than figuring out what the problem is exactly...

Maybe you can do a safe boot, can take some time, as your disk is checked and repaired. Might help. Doesn't hurt.

For the second (PS) problem:

You can create an alias of your Home folder by holding Option + Command keys and then drag your home folder to the desktop. (this shortcut works for any alias you want to make.)

! Don't drag from the sidebar !

drag from this location:

Macintosh HD (or whatever your internal disk is called) > Users > Your homefolder.

Good luck...

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 22, 2013 2:06 PM in response to lipwak

Hi,

For your main problem I would start figuring out if this problem is system wide or just in your user account.

You can make a temporary account to test with.

If it's only in your account, something must be corrupt there. But I wouldn't know what to look for. Maybe a higher level forum member can tune in here. If it's system wide I'd personally do a reinstall, which is likely less work than figuring out what the problem is exactly...

Maybe you can do a safe boot, can take some time, as your disk is checked and repaired. Might help. Doesn't hurt.

For the second (PS) problem:

You can create an alias of your Home folder by holding Option + Command keys and then drag your home folder to the desktop. (this shortcut works for any alias you want to make.)

! Don't drag from the sidebar !

drag from this location:

Macintosh HD (or whatever your internal disk is called) > Users > Your homefolder.

Good luck...

May 30, 2013 7:50 AM in response to lipwak

I reinstalled the system software today. Aliases needed to be reolved so I double-clicked on a bunch on my desktop. The second time around they opened up as they should. I rebooted. On reboot, they needed to be resolved again. Even creating new aliases doesn't help.

I had talked to Apple Care about a week ago. They didn't have any ideas. So, I now have to live with aliases being broken.

Jun 8, 2013 11:38 AM in response to lipwak

Now, for reasons unbenownst to me, aliases on the desktop are working. They weren't working yesterday, even with newly-created aliases. I haven't thrown much of anything out, still have about 177 gb free on the HD, have about 3 gb on the desktop, haven't downloaded any apps or much else other than system updates... (On 6/6 did the iTunes and security update.)

Let's hope this lasts.

resolving aliases window comes up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.