Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

epub: I'd like to create chapters for the TOC but don't want the new chapter to begin on a new page. I'd like it to begin on the same page as the prior chapter. How can I do that?

How can I do this? I currently have my TOC chapters listed as Apples, Oranges, and so on. But my text chapters begin something like this:

Apples

Oranges

I have "Apples" with header 1, "Oranges" with header 1, etc., so that very nicely in the TOC it is listing my topics as the chapters. However, within the body of the document, 1 appears on one page and "Apples" begins at the top of a new page, separated from "1"; 2 appears one one page and "Oranges" appears at the top of the next page (separated from the "2), and so on.

Because of the way the book is structured, I need to have the chapter numbers on a top line and the chapter topic beneath it. (The book is further subdivided, such as 1.3a, 1.3b, etc.)

What I would like is for the TOC to indicate my chapters as Apples, Oranges, etc., but for the chapter text to begin as indicated above.

How can I do this? Thanks.

Posted on May 22, 2013 1:09 PM

4 replies

May 22, 2013 8:01 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

Peter, I styled the wording of the chapter title (e.g. apples) with my heading1 styling and my sub-chapter titles were heading2. The text is a different font, different color, different size, different everything. It seems that the epub program has an automatic format to start a new page with each new header. That's what I'm trying to work around. (Originally I styled both the numeral and the chapter title as "heading 1" and it gave each a different page!)

I am in the process of removing all headers and styling everything manually (which is how it was originally) just to avoid this problem.

I'm having my e-book done through a publisher (this will be self-published), so I'll be giving them a .docx and they'll convert it to .html (filtered) then .epub. so I need something that creates my Table of Contents as I'd like it, without messing up the text of the book.

I can give them a list of what I want in the Table of Contents, and have them manually do it, but the TOC may or may not come out how I want it to come out. My preference is to have something automatic. I wanted the sub-units (heading 2) in the TOC but that will never work since I have over 200 of them and it's too much for them to do manually. It's a very slow process.

epub: I'd like to create chapters for the TOC but don't want the new chapter to begin on a new page. I'd like it to begin on the same page as the prior chapter. How can I do that?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.