Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture won't export : Retina MacBook Pro

I've been struggling with getting all sorts of basic stuff to work on my supposedly top spec 15" Retina MacBook Pro, the latest is that it can't seem to export from Aperture. Finder really slow, attaching files to emails takes ages to open etc - so wondering if it is part of this problem.

Has anyone else experienced this. Obviously being a Pro App I'm going to be charged handsomly to talk to anyone at apple.

Occasionally it can export a single image at a time, the export folder location takes ages to open. Select multiple images and select "Exprt Versions" and absolutely nothing happens. Export originals, and it crashes Aperture. I'm begining to wonder just how far you can throw a MacBook Pro.

It really is the most disapointing Mac I have ever bought, lovely display, but if the computer behind it doesn't function its all a little pointless.

Done the usual reboot, disk permissions etc.

Thanks for any pointers

Stephen

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), slow, really really slow, under OSX

Posted on May 22, 2013 2:59 PM

5 replies

May 22, 2013 3:28 PM in response to SdeS

Stephen -- new Macs come with 90 days free technical support (afaik, may not be worldwide). Have you tried calling Apple? (I have called for only one issue, and it was given extensive attention.)

Your problems are -- by your own account -- not specific to Aperture. You are likely to get better replies in a forum dedicated to OS X or to MacBooks.

My workhorse is a 15" rMBA. Fantastic machine (when it works). Good luck.

--Kirby.

May 23, 2013 12:55 AM in response to SdeS

Indeed, that does not look like an Aperture problem at all, like Kirby said.

If the Mac is new and still covered by warranty, take it back to the store you bought it from.

Collect evidence to show to the support team - crash logs, screenshots, error messages.

The first thing the technical support will do is usually to wipe the disk and to test with a clean install of the MacOS X. So prepare for that and make a backup of your system - or better two.

May 23, 2013 1:49 AM in response to Kirby Krieger

Hi, Thanks Kirby & Ieonie,

It is new (ish, about 90 days, and covered by Applecare) but calling Apple help - as I have previously - as soon as you mention it is Aperture they want to charge money - a lot of it and with no guarantee of results - to talk about any issues as it is a Pro App - pity it doesn't behave like one!

Kirby, you say "fantastic machine, when it works" which implies you have had issues - but not Aperture?

Anyhow, thanks for replies, just hoping someone else has encointered the same issue and found a cure.

My work around at present is to open the aperture library in iPhoto and expeort - also very very slowly with lots of beachball hanging, but at least I can get images out of Aperture by the back door.

Thanks

Stephen

May 23, 2013 2:30 AM in response to SdeS

Stephen,

It is new (ish, about 90 days, and covered by Applecare) but calling Apple help - as I have previously - as soon as you mention it is Aperture they want to charge money - a lot of it and with no guarantee of results - to talk about any issues as it is a Pro App - pity it doesn't behave like one!

Finder really slow, attaching files to emails takes ages to open etc - so wondering if it is part of this problem.

I'd really let the Apple Store sort out the system and hardware issues, as long as your Applecare lasts.

Make a backup of your system, best a bootable clone on an external drive (so you can easily revert back to your current state, or run your apps by booting into the clone) and reinstall the system without any third party apps and without Aperture, only the basic set of applications.

Then test your mail and Finder, and if issues remain, go back to AppleCare and present them with the proof, that it is the hardware and not the software.

You may find, that it is not Aperture at all, that is causing the problem, but an incompatible plug-in, kernel extension, "helper" applications, duplicate fonts, problems in the Aperture library inherited from iPhoto, incompatible videos in the Aperture library, an unsuitable drive hosting your Aperture Library. Where is the library located, btw? On an external or internal drive?

Regards

Léonie

May 23, 2013 8:33 AM in response to SdeS

As Kirby and Leonie said, it's probably not an Aperture issue. Though there have been complaints in the MacBook Pro and OSX forums, the only problems I've had with my rMBP (six months old, 2.7ghz, 16gb memory, and 768 ssd) are an occassional spinning beachball when I've left Parallels (and/or lots of other apps, Word, etc) running while opening Aperture. Knock on wood! I've got about 364gb of referenced photos on an external drive with the Aperture library on the rMBP's ssd and Aperture just flies along. Apple will probably want to wipe and restore your hard drive to eliminate any incompatabilities.

Good luck,

Richard

Aperture won't export : Retina MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.