Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does iPhone show landline numbers in the messages app?

Whenever I go to send an SMS, I have to scroll through a whole bunch of phone number options to get to the mobile phone numbers.

iPhone already knows which numbers are mobile, and I can't imagine people ever intentionally texting a landline number, so why doesn't it hide those invalid numbers, or at least sort them to the bottom? I've tried disabling Messages to use standard SMS in the Settings app, but it still shows these invalid phone numbers.

This is painful because every time I want to SMS one of my main contacts, his mobile phone number is off screen, and every single number above is a landline - useless.

Am I going about this wrong? Or is there a setting I don't know about?

Does anyone have an ideas to make SMSing easier on iPhone.

iPhone 4S

Posted on May 22, 2013 4:32 PM

2 replies

May 23, 2013 10:05 AM in response to sc0ttdav3y

Try initiating the SMS in Messages instead of Contacts. In every instance I've tried directly in Messages new message composition mode (pencil-on-paper icon), typing the name, numbers flagged as mobile do sort above other numbers for the same contact, no matter the order on the contact card.

On the other hand, if I start from Contacts, locate the contact, and tap the Send Message button, that list is in the order on the contact card.

By the way, a phone number flagged "business," "home," or "other," is not necessarily a landline. It is a hint, but not a clear indication. With number portability, today's landline number may be tomorrow's cell number.

Why does iPhone show landline numbers in the messages app?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.