Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I reinstall the Apple Hardware Test?

After an OS reinstall, with a Macintosh HD erase, I've lost the ability to run the Apple Hardware Test directly from my drive.

Now when I try to run it, it only does so from Internet Recovery Mode, which does not sit right by me, once it used to do so without requiring an internet connection and no official Apple article, specifically, warns you that any OS reinstall process can lead to this situation (at least none that I have discovered...)

Is there any way I can get back that feature, which I presume would be installed in a Recovery partition?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on May 22, 2013 10:14 PM

6 replies

May 22, 2013 10:20 PM in response to ForeignerMullet

If your Mac didn't come with DVDs, you can't get Apple Hardware Test in your hard disk anymore because it's only possible to get it starting your computer in this mode without being able to download it in OS X and copying it to a folder.

If your Mac came with DVDs, read > http://osxdaily.com/2011/08/29/get-apple-hardware-test-boot-mode-back-in-mac-os- x-lion/

May 22, 2013 10:21 PM in response to ForeignerMullet

With Mountain Lion the Apple Hardware Test now runs from Internet Recovery Mode. If you still have the original discs that came with the computer you can try running it from Disc 1. But once you chose to install Mountain Lion over your original system, then you lost the ability to run the AHT from the computer. I assure you this information has been around since 2008.

Can I reinstall the Apple Hardware Test?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.