Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook won't sleep or wake on command, overheats

I seem to have a sleeping and overheating problem with my 13" aluminum late-2008 edition 13" MacBook (I bought it exactly 4 years ago).

When I put my computer into sleep mode, be it by shutting the lid or selecting the sleep mode, it doesn't seem to stay asleep for long. I'll hear it running, it'll get extremely hot (whether or not the fans turn on seems to be a crapshoot). If I let it sleep longer than a couple minutes, the battery will run out, completely. Half the time when I turn the computer back on after plugging it back in, it doesn't respond right away and I'll have to force a reboot.

Other than sleep and possibly fan issues, the computer is running fine. No other complaints. Already took the battery out and reset the SMC. Not convinced that did anything worthwhile.

Help?

MacBook (13-inch Aluminum Late 2008), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on May 22, 2013 7:24 PM

6 replies

May 25, 2013 7:28 AM in response to kbuckle

Hi there kbuckle!

I have an article for you that can help you troubleshoot your computer's sleep issue. That article is specific to Mountain Lion, and can be found right here:

OS X Mountain Lion: If your Mac won’t go to or stay in sleep

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH11080

Additionally, this older article might have some further troubleshooting steps for you, but it is more geared toward Snow Leopard and other older operating systems:

Mac OS X: Why your Mac might not sleep or stay in sleep mode

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1776

Hope this helps. Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities!

Cheers,

Braden

May 31, 2013 12:41 AM in response to kbuckle

Hi,

I am having the exact same problems! Very frustrating!

It started after I updated to Mountain Lion. It seems to go into a low power state but the fan still turns and the battery runs down very quick.

The only way to power back up is to force shutdown and reboot!!

The other fault I have is that the keyboard backlight is no longer functional.

Is this just my Mac or is it a common fault with the update?

Please help anybody.

Cheers

sparkyste.

Macbook won't sleep or wake on command, overheats

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.