Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

exporting,importing same file

I'm starting to use iPhoto 11 more because my new OM-D produces such good JPEGs I no longer see a need for RAW and the attendant conversion issues.

I see that when I export an image from iPhoto to edit in Photoshop, and save the editing changes (overwrite the same file with the original file name), those changes do not automatically show up in iPhoto. But if I import the edited version into iPhoto and merge it with the original event, now there are two files with the same file name.

I understand that iPhoto uses a system that requires all versions of the original (master) to have the same file name or risk being lost?

What's the best practice to manage this (I assume the master can't be trashed?), or the easiest way to simply rename the edited file and keep both?

Thanks,

Brian

iPad 2, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on May 22, 2013 11:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 23, 2013 1:15 AM

I see that when I export an image from iPhoto to edit in Photoshop, and save the editing changes (overwrite the same file with the original file name), those changes do not automatically show up in iPhoto.

Here's how you use iPhoto and PS:

You can set Photoshop (or any image editor) as an external editor in iPhoto. (Preferences -> General -> Edit Photo: Choose from the Drop Down Menu.) This way, when you double click a pic to edit in iPhoto it will open automatically in Photoshop or your Image Editor, and when you save it it's sent back to iPhoto automatically. This is the only way that edits made in another application will be displayed in iPhoto.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 23, 2013 1:15 AM in response to azartguy

I see that when I export an image from iPhoto to edit in Photoshop, and save the editing changes (overwrite the same file with the original file name), those changes do not automatically show up in iPhoto.

Here's how you use iPhoto and PS:

You can set Photoshop (or any image editor) as an external editor in iPhoto. (Preferences -> General -> Edit Photo: Choose from the Drop Down Menu.) This way, when you double click a pic to edit in iPhoto it will open automatically in Photoshop or your Image Editor, and when you save it it's sent back to iPhoto automatically. This is the only way that edits made in another application will be displayed in iPhoto.

May 23, 2013 10:47 AM in response to azartguy

Using Photoshop or Photoshop Elements as Your Editor of Choice in iPhoto.

1 - select Photoshop or Photoshop Elememts as your editor of choice in iPhoto's General Preference Section's under the "Edit photo:" menu.

User uploaded file

2 - double click on the thumbnail in iPhoto to open it in Photoshop. When you're finished editing click on the Save button. If you immediately get the JPEG Options window make your selection (Baseline standard seems to be the most compatible jpeg format) and click on the OK button. Your done.

3 - however, if you get the navigation window

User uploaded file

that indicates that PS wants to save it as a PS formatted file. You'll need to either select JPEG from the menu and save (top image) or click on the desktop in the Navigation window (bottom image) and save it to the desktop for importing as a new photo.

This method will let iPhoto know that the photo has been editied and will update the thumbnail file to reflect the edit..

NOTE: With Photoshop Elements the Saving File preferences should be configured as shown:

User uploaded file

I also suggest the Maximize PSD File Compatabilty be set to Always. In PSE’s General preference pane set the Color Picker to Apple as shown:

User uploaded file

Note: to switch between iPhoto and PS or PSE as the editor of choice Control (right)-click on the thumbnail and select either Edit in iPhoto or Edit in External Editor from the contextual menu. If you use iPhoto to edit more than PSE re-select iPhoto in the iPhoto General preference pane. Then iPhoto will be the default editor and you can use the contextual menu to select PSE for your editor when desired.

OT

exporting,importing same file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.