Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 4 randomly freezes - what hardware to swap

Good Afternoon, ive recently started up my own business fixing mobile phones - mostly cracked screens and chassis replacements.

Just recently i thought id got a bargain on ebay regarding an iphone 4.

It was described as working correctly, can make / receive calls and send texts etc but randomly locks up.

Ive got the phone today, unfortunately its locked to the 3 network so ive got a micro sim on the way so I cant actually proceed further at this point. Although it did crash once on me when i tried to select language's etc - had to hold the home and power button down until it turned off.

Ive read on the forums that this is a common fault, and can occur to any iphone - faulty or otherwise. And the main concensus seems to be to take it back to the store for a swap.

My main question is - seeing how im likely to come across this fault again - is the fault software or hardware related?

If its hardware related what circuit board is likely to be the culprit? If we could identify the problem then im sure I could just order the required part on ebay.

The fact that apple havent recalled the iphone and that they will accept these faulty iphone's back and swap for new suggests to me its an easy fix - its just easier for the technicians to go in the store room and get a brand new one.

Secondly ive just got another iphone 4 white - bought cheap as its totally dead. Tried a new battery and still nothing. Got a new dock / charging connector on the way - is it likely to be this at fault? Doesnt seem to be any sign of water damage, and it wasnt described as this on the ebay page.

When id swapped the new battery over i tried to charge the phone ( to see if id fixed it ) and it got extremely hot - so i disconnected right away and left it to cool off.

Whats likely to be the issue with that one?

Thanks, and hope someone can help

Adam

iPhone 4

Posted on May 23, 2013 8:16 AM

1 reply

May 23, 2013 9:39 AM in response to AdamC361

Apple does not sell parts. There are no legitimate sources for iPhone parts. Apple considers iPhone to NOT be user servicable, and any attempt by anyone other than Apple to open or service an iPhone will void any warranty and forfeit all rights to have the phone serviced by Apple.

Your assumptions that a) the problem you have is widespread, and b) that it is an easy fix are incorrect.

If you want advice of repairing iPhones, try someplace like www.ifixit.com.

What you're doing is not supported or condoned by Apple.

By the way, almost every single case of an exploding iPhone or an iPhone catching fire can be traced to a botched 3rd party repair.

iphone 4 randomly freezes - what hardware to swap

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.