Newsroom Update

Final Cut Pro transforms video creation with Live Multicam on iPad and new AI features on Mac. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Media storage

I need some practical advice as a newbee amateur (retired and do not do this for compensation) to FCPX. I shot a video of my granchild's music recital at the request of the owner in HD. The original one hour production was slightly over 50 gigs when edited. I exported it in two parts in H264 and put it on YouTube. I really do not want to store the original on my hard drives and want to give everything to the owner. What should I give her? The original clips were transitioned with cross fades, so she will lose a bit of each performance if she gets the final edited version and ever wants to put a particular part in a separate form. She does not have FCPX so I cannot transfer the Project and Events to her via computers. I really don't even know how to transfer the uncompressed original edited version to her. It would obviously be nice if I could give her a disk with a compressed version that could later be blown up to a full uncompressed version but this seems impossible once the movie is compressed. It seems that the original uncompressed version sitting on my hard drive is useless and cannot really be transferred anywhere except hard drive to hard drive. It also seems that the only viable transfer is a compressed version of the final product that can fit on a flash drive, cross-fades included. I wondered how others have faced these problems.

My second question is what is the generally acceptable compression method for putting the video on iWeb. I have my own website and still use iWeb even though Apple has abandoned it. I see no suggestions in the "share" menu for the appropriate compression, so it can quickly download if someone accesses the sight via their smartphones. Presently it plays and stops and plays and stops when accessed by my iPhone.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on May 23, 2013 10:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 23, 2013 10:59 AM

The simplest and probably best solution is to give the compressed H.264 video as this is virtually the same quality as the raw original footage.

It is unlikely anyone will ever want to re-edit it, but the loss of a second here or there will not matter or be noticed.

If it was shot with an AVCHD camera you could alo give the card with the original footage.

A good starting point for HD video would be Apple Devices.

User uploaded file

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 23, 2013 10:59 AM in response to lburech

The simplest and probably best solution is to give the compressed H.264 video as this is virtually the same quality as the raw original footage.

It is unlikely anyone will ever want to re-edit it, but the loss of a second here or there will not matter or be noticed.

If it was shot with an AVCHD camera you could alo give the card with the original footage.

A good starting point for HD video would be Apple Devices.

User uploaded file

May 23, 2013 1:52 PM in response to Ian R. Brown

Thanks for the informative answer. What about my second question?

My second question is what is the generally acceptable compression method for putting the video on iWeb. I have my own website and still use iWeb even though Apple has abandoned it. I see no suggestions in the "share" menu for the appropriate compression, so it can quickly download if someone accesses the sight via their smartphones. Presently the video plays and stops and plays and stops when accessed by my iPhone.

May 23, 2013 2:45 PM in response to lburech

My last sentence and the screenshot were a partial answer to your second question, though it appears that the iPhone coupled with slow broadband speeds can't manage such file sizes.

Using the above setting you could change the resolution from 1280x720 to 854x480 from the dropdown menu.

This would give smaller file sizes which would be easier to use.

Ideally you need Compressor which will allow much more choice.

May 24, 2013 12:20 AM in response to lburech

These are the settings you should be looking at in conjunction with iPhone viewing and you should be able to access them directly from the FCP X Share menu.User uploaded file

Broadband High is the least compressed and Cellular Low the most.

You need to test all 4 but your best option might be to create 2 versions of each video so that people can choose one that suits their broadband speed.

Media storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.