Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help with fstab (mountpoint with space)

Hello.

I have recently bought an SSD-based Mac Mini and am very satisfied with it. However I had a few bones of contention with the relatively restricted storage space, so I opened it up and added an extra 1TB HDD, which I partitioned into three 'disks' to store (respectively) my Photograph libraries (500 GB), my Music libraries (300 GB) and MobileSync (200 GB).

Then I edited my /etc/fstab file to mount all the drives in filesystem hierarchy where I want them, and all worked fine.

Except MobileSync.

I am having problems because MobileSync's mountpoint lies within /Users/<me>/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup, and that contains a space in "Application Support". I do not know how to successfully express that space in language fstab understands.

I have tried quotes

UUID=<partition-UUID> "/Users/<me>/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup" hfs rw,noauto

and the old octal '\040' escape character

UUID=<partition-UUID> /Users/<me>/Library/Application\040Support/MobileSync/Backup hfs rw,noauto

Neither have worked so far.

I'm stuck. I need help.

Thanks.

Mac mini (Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on May 23, 2013 10:55 AM

There are no replies.

Help with fstab (mountpoint with space)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.