Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes & iPhoto on external drive not showing in Media Browser

I moved my iTunes and iPhoto libraries to a NAS device on separate hard drives. Independently they work and I can access them through their respective programs, HOWEVER, when I want to use them in Keynote, Pages, iMovie, etc. they don't show up in the media browser. I have a couple of questions...

1. Will the media browser work with these libraries on external sources?

2. Do I need to set up some sort of alias on my Mac HD to point the media browser to those libraries?

3. If so...how?

Hoping someone has the answer, or at least can point me in the right direction...

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on May 23, 2013 2:33 PM

4 replies

May 23, 2013 2:45 PM in response to IG23

I am not sure if they will work off a NAS, but I don't see why not. (But iMovie Events will not work off a NAS)

See this post and focus in on the part about trashing the iApps plist. I would try to trash it and then open up iPhoto and iTunes to repopuplate it. Then try to see if the Media Browser works in iMovie. You should not need to trash the iMovie plist, but it would do no harm if you did.

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-4061

Jul 1, 2013 2:15 PM in response to AppleMan1958

That's what I thought.

Anyhoo...after months of investigating and googling and such, it appears it was all an XML file that wasn't saving and updating properly. I went in and fixed the few bits of info I needed to and now iTunes populates in my other iLife and iWork programs, just like before. And all from the NAS connected through the Ethernet port. Works great!

iTunes & iPhoto on external drive not showing in Media Browser

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.