Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Features and functions

Hello.

I have a assignment based on comparing, OS X, and either Windows, or LInux.

Could someone please give me some information on the following.

• Support for connectivty of portable media
  • Associated utilities
  • cost and support for the user
  • Security
  • ease of management

I do not now much about OS X, I have used it and thefor have a understanding of it.

It would be a great help.

Many thanks,

Jacob.

OS X-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on May 23, 2013 4:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 23, 2013 6:52 PM

I am biased. I have been a Mac guy since I bought my first one in 1984, before there was Windows. II occasionally use the Windows machines at work, and they are horrible. The software is poorly written, uncreative, unintuitive, and soul crushing. I think it really makes people stupider when they use Windows machines. It's like listening to pop music.

Item

Mac OS X

Windows

Connectivity of portable media

Simple and Intuituve. Plug and play. Connect media, it appears on the desktop.

Complex, difficult, frustrating. Connect media, you have to hunt for it.

Associated Utilities

see below

see below

Cost

$19.99 at the App store

$199.99 from Microsoft

Support for user

Free online forum vs. Applecare, local geniuses at Applestore Genius Bar.

No geniuses.

security

robust. Viruses rare. Antivirus software unnecessary.

thousands of viruses. Antivirus software a must.

ease of management

easy

want to kill myself when I have to use the windows machines at work to try to do simple tasks.

By "Associated Utilities" I am not sure if you mean software in general or "Utilities", which are more maintenance or system software related items. There are definitely more Windows Software Titles, but there is no shortage of good software for macs these days. Also PC software can run on a mac in various ways, with emulation software, or macs can just boot directly into windows; the converse is not generally so true. Most (not all) professional audio, video, and commercial art is done on Macs. Windows still rules the corporate non-creative world because the machines needed are cheaper and less powerful and Apple doesn't make lower end cheaper machines. Microsoft Office is the mainstay of that corporate world; there are Mac versions of the Office Apps that communicate well with PC's.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 23, 2013 6:52 PM in response to Jacobb1234

I am biased. I have been a Mac guy since I bought my first one in 1984, before there was Windows. II occasionally use the Windows machines at work, and they are horrible. The software is poorly written, uncreative, unintuitive, and soul crushing. I think it really makes people stupider when they use Windows machines. It's like listening to pop music.

Item

Mac OS X

Windows

Connectivity of portable media

Simple and Intuituve. Plug and play. Connect media, it appears on the desktop.

Complex, difficult, frustrating. Connect media, you have to hunt for it.

Associated Utilities

see below

see below

Cost

$19.99 at the App store

$199.99 from Microsoft

Support for user

Free online forum vs. Applecare, local geniuses at Applestore Genius Bar.

No geniuses.

security

robust. Viruses rare. Antivirus software unnecessary.

thousands of viruses. Antivirus software a must.

ease of management

easy

want to kill myself when I have to use the windows machines at work to try to do simple tasks.

By "Associated Utilities" I am not sure if you mean software in general or "Utilities", which are more maintenance or system software related items. There are definitely more Windows Software Titles, but there is no shortage of good software for macs these days. Also PC software can run on a mac in various ways, with emulation software, or macs can just boot directly into windows; the converse is not generally so true. Most (not all) professional audio, video, and commercial art is done on Macs. Windows still rules the corporate non-creative world because the machines needed are cheaper and less powerful and Apple doesn't make lower end cheaper machines. Microsoft Office is the mainstay of that corporate world; there are Mac versions of the Office Apps that communicate well with PC's.

Features and functions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.