Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS X 10.8.3, TM & Spotlight Issue

I just upgraded to OS X 10.8.3 and my TM is no longer backing up. This appears to be a Spotlight issue as all I get is Estimating Index Time when I open Spotlight. I tried the trick of making my HD private in Spotlight then public again - same result it's still estimating index time. I've read lots of posts about Spotlight being buggy after operating system upgrades although most are 1-2 years old. Anyone have a solution to this?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on May 24, 2013 3:34 AM

13 replies

May 24, 2013 5:36 AM in response to Ian-S

If you have any other partitions or disks attached, you should probably exclude them in the Spotlight preferences. Similarly in Time Machine Preferences>Options, make sure other volumes are excluded.

Then, after a new installation, Spotlight can take a long while to complete. Time Machine too, and I would not contemplate running them at the same time, or the computer will grind to a halt. Let Spotlight finish first before starting the Time Machine backup.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

May 24, 2013 5:56 PM in response to Ian-S

As putnik says, while Spotlight is indexing, backups will be slow, perhaps barely moving.

If it's taking hours and hours to index, it's possible the actual index on your Startup drive is damaged. If so, reindexing may not help.

Cancel the backup, then try to Repair your startup drive, per #6 in Using Disk Utility.

If that doesn't help, you may have to actually delete the index so OSX will re-create it "from scratch." The pink box in #D2 of Time Machine - Troubleshooting shows how to do it on a Time Machine backup drive; use the same procedure, but apply it to your internal HD instead.

May 25, 2013 6:06 AM in response to Ian-S

Ian-S wrote:

Hi Pondini,

The problem is not Time Machine, I think. I turned that off and restarted Spotlight but it's stuck estimating the index time. I verified my HD which came back without any problems. Hmm...

Did you try actually deleting the index? If it's still estimating after many hours, and there are no other disks connected, that may well fix it. We do see this occasionally on Mountain Lion.

May 25, 2013 6:34 AM in response to Ian-S

The pink box in #D2 of Time Machine - Troubleshooting shows how to do it on a Time Machine backup drive; use the same procedure, but apply it to your internal HD instead.

The index is normally hidden; you need to be able to see it to delete it via the Finder. Installing the Tinker Tool app via the link there is one way of making them visible.

Then locate and delete the index (but the one on your Mac's HD).

Which part of that do you need help with?

May 25, 2013 7:49 AM in response to Ian-S

You need to open your internal HD via the Finder. The hidden files will be shown at the top.

Your internal HD is almost certainly named Macintosh HD. If it's not shown in your Finder sidebar, click Go in the Finder's menubar, select Computer, and it should appear, with a gray disk icon. Click it to open.

OS X 10.8.3, TM & Spotlight Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.