Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

intermittent problems with mail since I updated to 10.6.8

Since I updated by home account works OK but an additional email account only works intermittently.I check the settings, password, etc. but without success.

Go back in ten minutes and it works...

Go back in ten more and it's not working...

iMac (20-inch Mid 2007), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on May 24, 2013 8:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2013 8:26 AM

Mystery email providers, mystery information about what you've done, equals mystery solutions.

4 replies

May 24, 2013 9:08 AM in response to pschade

I agree with 71.

Mac OS X v10.6: Mail.app won’t open, or "You can't use this version of Mail…" alert after installing Security Update 2012-004:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4424?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Fellow user Grant Bennet-Alder offers this solution:

Some users have reported this problem if the Mail Application has been moved out of the top-level /Applications folder, or duplicated in another location.

When the Security Update is done, the old version of Mail is disabled.

The solution has been to:

1) make certain Mail is in the /Applications folder

2) There is no other copy anywhere else.

3) Once steps 1 and 2 have been done, Manually download and re-apply the Security Update (2012-004) by hand.

Security Update 2012-004 (Snow Leopard)

If the Mail.app has been LOST, it can be re-installed by applying the 10.6.8 version 1.1 combo update. But this update is quite large and it is usually not necessary:

Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo v1.1

intermittent problems with mail since I updated to 10.6.8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.