Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Find My iPhone Without Registered WiFi

What alternatives to Find My iPhone exist that do not rely on the iPhone physically being connected to a "Registered WiFi?"

My iPhone is almost always connected to the Internet via a cellular data connection, comparatively rarely connected via a Registered WiFi. It also always has GPS turned on.

Same holds true for my wife. Indeed, it is rare that we can find each other using the Find My iPhone app running on each of our iPhone 5s, simply because one or the other iPhone is not connected to WiFi, but instead is connected to the Internet by way of LTE or 3G. We can rely on texting or simply calling, except when either of us happens to be driving (phone use while driving is ellegal here).

We both increasingly opt to dismiss WiFi connection prompts place-by-place simply because connecting to the Internet via LTE or 3G tends to be a more reliable, faster connection, not to mention more secure. Most heavy Internet usage is done either at home or at work where we each have good, reliable, secure WiFi, and thereby don't unnecessarily run up data usage charges.

Ideally, there must be some app out there that works by way of the "lost" iPhone having any active Internet connection, not just via WiFi.

I've searched the app store and Google, to no avail. I've also searched these discussions and have found some others seemingly looking for something similar, but no definitive, workable answer. So, thanks for your knowledgeable suggestions.

iPhone 5, iOS 6.0.2

Posted on May 24, 2013 8:23 AM

8 replies

May 24, 2013 8:40 AM in response to varjak paw

Requirements specifidally stated in iCloud and Find My iPhone app: "...must be connected via a registered Wi-Fi network"

Moreover, when I know my wife's iPhone is in motion (she's driving or on a bus or the commuter train) no location is displayed (either on iCloud or on my iPhone running the app). This is also notably the case when I know she is at a store (no location displayed, but I know because I resorted to texting or calling her).

May 24, 2013 8:47 AM in response to Mountain Mac

You're misreading. That would apply to an iPad WiFi, iPod touch or Mac, but not an iPhone or iPad WiFi+Cellular. The device just needs to be online:

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH2698

and that's defined as follows:

An iOS device is online if it’s turned on (with or without a passcode lock) and connected to a data network, such as EDGE, 3G, or Wi-Fi. A Mac computer is online if it’s turned on and connected to the Internet via Wi-Fi or Ethernet.

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH2593

The Find My iPhone app requirements say (emphasis mine): Internet connection required. To be located, your iPad with WiFi, iPod touch, or Mac must be connected via a registered WiFi network.

I've been able to locate my iPad just fine even when it's only connected to the cell network.

Regards.

May 24, 2013 3:47 PM in response to varjak paw

We must then have a problem of some sort.

How frequently can you obtain a location update while your iPad is in motion?

In our case, it clearly appears as though updates "jump" from Wifi Hotspot to Hotspot. For example, in front of my house, I can see the iPhone as it travels down the street (until it loses my home WiFi connection. Same iPhone works continuously (evreywhere) with Apple Map or Google Map, or any other Internet-enabled app (e.g. Internet radio).

May 24, 2013 3:55 PM in response to varjak paw

Looking more closely at your KB articles:

"The iOS device is online, or the Mac is online, not asleep, and within range of a Wi-Fi network."

• A green dot User uploaded file means it’s online.
  • A gray dot User uploaded file means it’s offline.

If a device is online, a green dot User uploaded file appears beside the device in the My Devices list.

On iCloud my wife's iPhone shows as a gray dot after a few minutes following the last update. it stays gray until which time as I can get a more recent update (and after she has moved -- often several miles). It doesn't matter if she is in the cr, on a bus or just walking.

May 29, 2013 8:19 AM in response to Mountain Mac

or the Mac is online

Again, we're talking about an iPhone here. Limitations of the Find service that apply to devices that lack the ability to connect to a cell network do not apply. The iPhone does not require a WiFi connection for the Find My iPhone service to work. If your iPhones are not being located when they're not connected to an WiFi network, then yes, you have a problem. Something here may help:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4006

As to frequency of update, I believe it updates only when location is requested, either via the iCloud web site or the Find My iPhone or Find My Friends app, but I'm not certain.

Regards.

May 16, 2015 7:49 PM in response to Mountain Mac

I know the question has been out for year, but I just had this issue too. I could only find my iPhone 5 if I was on WiFi. Try checking your privacy settings. I did have location services on, when I looked under the system services tab Find my iphone was on, but share my location was off. When I turned on share my location, I could find the phone without WiFi. Hope this is helpful.

Find My iPhone Without Registered WiFi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.