Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"System [.kext] extension cannot be used"

Hi -

I'm running OS X 10.6.8 on an iMac.

I just installed an iTunes update, and got the warning 'The system extension "/System/Library/Extensions/IomegaSAM.kext" was installed improperly and cannot be used. ...'

I'm using a 360-GB Iomega external hard drive for my Time Machine backups.

In case it's relevant, a couple of days ago I had problems with this drive and used Disk Utility to erase the Iomega drive and verify that it was now OK.

The Iomega drive now does seem to be working just fine - it just did a Time Machine backup without any problems.

So - can I simply ignore the "System extension cannot be used" warning and forget about it?

TIA for your answer.

<Email Edited by Host>

Posted on May 24, 2013 10:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2013 4:23 PM

User uploaded file

Finder > Computer > Macintosh HD > System > Library > Extensions and find any kext files with Iomega in the name and move them to the desktop

Especially IomegaSAM.kext

I have Snow Leopard here and there is no default Iomega files in that folder, so your good to remove those with Iomega in the name.

Reboot.

Must have been a program you ran when you first got the drive, like a backup or something and never used since, it happens.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 24, 2013 4:23 PM in response to airolg

User uploaded file

Finder > Computer > Macintosh HD > System > Library > Extensions and find any kext files with Iomega in the name and move them to the desktop

Especially IomegaSAM.kext

I have Snow Leopard here and there is no default Iomega files in that folder, so your good to remove those with Iomega in the name.

Reboot.

Must have been a program you ran when you first got the drive, like a backup or something and never used since, it happens.

May 31, 2013 4:33 PM in response to ds store

Hi, ds store -

Thanks for your very helpful response. Sorry for my delay in replying - I got sidetracked.

I moved the IomegaSAM.kext file to the desktop, as you suggested, and it made no difference: everything backed up without problems. No problems with leaving IomegaSAM.kext in the Extensions folder, either.

So you're probably right - it may just be a leftover file from when I first used the drive.

Jun 1, 2013 7:22 AM in response to airolg

airolg wrote:

I moved the IomegaSAM.kext file to the desktop, as you suggested, and it made no difference: everything backed up without problems. No problems with leaving IomegaSAM.kext in the Extensions folder, either.

It's because OS X already disabled the bad kext file for you, why you didn't see any noticable change.

All you need to do is Trash it. 🙂

"System [.kext] extension cannot be used"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.