Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Choppy scrolling

Dear community,

Not long ago I bought an new iMac late 2012. Until now I’m pretty happy with it but I realized a problem while working with editors that the scrolling is choppy and laggy.

The problem:

When I use applications like eclipse or Dreamweaver the scrolling is totally laggy and it is very frustrating working with that. When I scroll the CPU usage goes up to 20-40 %.

But there is a difference when I change the size the texteditor window. When is very small the scrolling is very smooth like it supposed to be when is max size is very very choppy.

I made a small video to demonstrate the issue and added some monitoring. When you play it on 1080p you going to see the values.

http://www.youtube.com/v/HMNTSfag-zs&hd=1

I think that is not ok and intended. I tried it also with other applictions and is kind of the same problem. Using Photoshop , Textwrangler or Word is alaways slow scrolling. Sometimes even dropdown lists are lagging (***?).

So far I tried this approach’s to solve the problem

• Deleted the application caches in safe mode
  • Create a new user and tried scrolling
  • Renamed systemconfiguration folder and try after restart
  • Smooth scrolling functions and trying around options
  • Reset the PRAM

Nothing helped at all and as newbie to osx I don’t what to do else.

I would appreciate some advise

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on May 24, 2013 11:14 AM

3 replies

Choppy scrolling

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.