Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to configure this

Hi, thank you for reading my question. Recently, I became a Comcast Internet customer. They hooked me up with a cable router/modem. This worked well with all of my devices except for my smartphones. I did some troubleshooting and discovered that it is Comcast's router that is the problem not the phones. So, I decided to buy airport extreme and the actiontec converter, so that I can convert my cable connection to ethernet. Where do I put the modem within this configuration? As in, do I get a cable modem and put it before my Actiontec converter? Or do I get an ethernet modem and put it between the converter and airport?

Your advice is very much appreciated. Thank you.

AirPort Extreme 802.11n (5th Gen), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on May 24, 2013 11:14 AM

1 reply

May 25, 2013 11:12 AM in response to sfrey000

The usual configuration is

ISP's cable --> modem --> Extreme.

ISPs typically supply a modem or a combination modem / router. If Comcast supplied a combination modem/router, either contact them for instructions on how to disable its router, or configure the Extreme as a bridge, thereby disabling its router.

You should have only one device providing routing functions for your home network so decide which one you would prefer. I suggest the Extreme since it is likely to convey more benefits than the cheap equipment typically supplied by ISPs, and AirPort Utility makes it easy to configure.

... and the actiontec converter,

What is an actiontec converter? If it is a MoCA Ethernet bridge, it is designed for high bandwidth streaming requirements within your LAN and as such, not required unless you have that specific need, and a coaxial cable infrastructure already installed in your home.

How to configure this

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.