Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ok to move managed library to external, keep referenced on internal?

This is more a workflow question, I think?

I have run out of space on my laptop (I'm sure everyone hears that all the time), so am thinking I should transfer my Aperture library to my external drive. No big deal, and I'm fine with that. When I'm traveling I really never have to adjust/edit/print older photos anyways.

What I am wondering is, as part of a workflow do the much-wiser-than-me folks here recommend that I:

- move my Aperture library (managed) to my external drive

- keep new images I add as referenced files on my internal drive, so I can continue to edit while traveling

- when done editing the newer images, then move those to be managed files on my externally held Aperture library when I get home

Or is that total silliness, and my Aperture library should always be on my internal drive, and I should instead just move all of my now-managed images to be referenced images on an external drive? I think I'm missing understanding the benefits of keeping images managed as much as possible.

I don't have enough images (I'm not a pro) that I need to have a ton of libraries (I don't really get the concept of having multiple libraries, though, and like to be able to "see" all my images when traveling, including the ones I've rates 3+ stars, for example)

Much thanks!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on May 24, 2013 11:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2013 12:14 PM

Or is that total silliness, and my Aperture library should always be on my internal drive, and I should instead just move all of my now-managed images to be referenced images on an external drive? I think I'm missing understanding the benefits of keeping images managed as much as possible.

You really have two options, and both work well.

• Keep a managed library on an external drive and a current working library on the external. From time to time merge your wrking set into the managed library. The benefit is to have the security of a managed library.
  • But if you want to be able to see all high-rated images at all times in the screensaver and to have the Aperture library on your fastest drive, the internal, go for a mixed library. All favorites plus your recently imported images that still need editing managed on your inernal drive, but the older images with low ratings referenced on the external. You may want to render high quality previews for all referenced images. This way you can still browse them, rate them, access them in the Media Browser, etc.

Regards

Léonie

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 24, 2013 12:14 PM in response to aquestionortwo

You really have two options, and both work well.

• Keep a managed library on an external drive and a current working library on the external. From time to time merge your wrking set into the managed library. The benefit is to have the security of a managed library.
  • But if you want to be able to see all high-rated images at all times in the screensaver and to have the Aperture library on your fastest drive, the internal, go for a mixed library. All favorites plus your recently imported images that still need editing managed on your inernal drive, but the older images with low ratings referenced on the external. You may want to render high quality previews for all referenced images. This way you can still browse them, rate them, access them in the Media Browser, etc.

Regards

Léonie

May 24, 2013 1:39 PM in response to aquestionortwo

Mixed Library is what I do. I think it would meet your needs like a body-suit (no reason to have multiple Libraries; avoids the complication of exporting and importing/merging; puts the Library on the only machine that you use, puts the Library in the best location for performance). Here is a sketchy description. Ask about anything that is not clear.

May 24, 2013 1:52 PM in response to aquestionortwo

Looking again at your thread title :

The general idea is exactly the other way round - or I am misunderstanding what you are saying.

For a mixed library:

• Keep a partial, managed library on the internal drive
  • Move older referenced images to the external.

Kirby's sketchy description says it all!

May 24, 2013 3:32 PM in response to léonie

Correct - you aren't misunderstanding. What I was proposing is exactly the opposite of what was recommended here. Glad I asked!! 🙂

I regularly use the older edited files when back at home (as much as any of the more recent files), so will having referenced files on an external drive slow things down (versus running on an internal managed library)?

I think those links should be very useful also, much appreciated. Have a good weekend all-

May 24, 2013 11:40 PM in response to aquestionortwo

I had exactly the same situation and question. I kept my "Library" on the laptop and moved all images older than 2012 (about 50,000 if I remember right) to an external drive as "referenced." New images remain "managed" on the laptop. Every year, I will move the two-year-old images off to the external drive. It's working great. (I also moved my pretty massive iTunes media off-board while, again, keeping the iTunes Library on-board.).

I spent months thinking about this, and in the end in took just a couple hours, with no real hassle or problems. (There were some slightly tricky developments with the iTunes stuff, but that's not relevant here!). Good luck!

May 30, 2013 11:37 AM in response to MarkPek

Thanks MarkPek!

Can you see any performance differences when editing your referenced files versus managed files?

Right now I have a bunch of iMovie files on an external drive, and it is a painfully slow loading/startup process every time I launch the app. I feel like I'm doing something wrong...just want to make sure I don't have the same experience with Aperture! 😀

May 30, 2013 12:11 PM in response to aquestionortwo

Can you see any performance differences when editing your referenced files versus managed files?

That will depend on the location of the referenced files. If they are on drive with a fast connection it should not matter much, but if you store them on a etwork drive with slow access you'll have a problem.

For example, I have two internal drives on omy MBP. I do not notice much difference between managed files on the inernal SSD and referenced files on the second internal drive.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.